Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Adelaide > Comments > SA Carp Frenzy
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
rbytfg
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
I wonder, Paula if the carp in SA is different to in other countries! I distinctly remember, as a little girl going fishing every weekend with my Dad and him catching carp, and us eating it (after it's been cooked, of course). A very tasty fish with a lot of bones. You say the fish are noxious and not fit for human consumption....hence my question! Have a look at this link: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-06/pest-to-plate-our-growing-appetite-for-feral-carp/9227976
by Elaine (score: 3|9423) 1971 days ago
by Paula McManus (score: 3), 1922 days ago
I heard the same thing the other day Aland. It will be fantastic to see if the virus works and the river can be cleansed of this rotten pest
by aland (score: 0), 1925 days ago
Carp are the traditional Christmas dish in the Czech Republic. They need to be purged in fresh water then smoked....I've eaten them there and it's quite good but of course not a patch on our wonderful local seafood. I'd heard that a virus is being developed that will kill carp only....the sooner the better. Eventually they out compete all other fish til there's nothing else left.
by Paula McManus (score: 3), 1969 days ago
Interesting article Elaine, thanks for posting the link to it. In the article it mentions that "Before you know it, you have a noxious pest which local towns [along the Murray Darling Basin] are getting paid to harvest and it feeds us."
I don't know of anyone who has bought carp at a fish market or who has eaten it, and I'm not sure I'd pay money for it given the choices of seafood that we have here. But, that article shows that there's a way to perhaps eradicate the species - good news!