Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations      HubGarden      Recipes
1 million Australian readers every month      list your event

Runaway Bay Tavern

Home > Gold Coast > Restaurants | Food and Wine
by Alyce Beard (subscribe)
In my final year of studies at University and major in Journalism and History.
Published May 20th 2012


My partner and I recently had dinner at the Runaway Bay Tavern and it was met with mixed emotions. We, like most others, had a two for one docket on the back of our Coles grocery bill. We had never been to Runaway Bay Tavern and didn't even know where it was so trusty Google Maps told us it was right next to the Runaway Bay shopping centre.

It looked very nice from the outside even though it shared a car park with the shopping centre. We were seated outside which had waterproof tarps down and a warm heater above us. Perusing the menu I became disappointed. The menu did not have one main meal vegetarian option so we were unable to use the docket. However it is a Tavern so can't complain but it is a little upsetting that they can't cater to a vegetarian which accounts for around 5% of the Australian population. The other 95% of the Australian meat eating population can also eat a vegetarian meal if they chose too.

However, they had a veggie stack for an entree which we ordered to come out as a main. We had bruschetta as an entree and the bread was very thick and difficult to eat but it was nice. My boyfriend had a French chicken schnitzel which was a lot smaller than other Taverns we have eaten at but was still a big meal with the fries and salad. I found they didn't put as much sauce then other Taverns as well.

My veggie stack came out and it was surprisingly delicious. It was zucchini, capsicum and eggplant with fetta and rocket. I'm not a huge fan of zucchini or capsicum but they all really worked together and the tomato sauce that it was all drenched in was a nice touch. There was a lot on the plate and it was defiantly enjoyable and filling.

The service was ok and the food ending up being good but still lack of options for a vegetarian, which will only matter to 5% of you who read this anyway. The menu included a wide range of steaks including wagyu and grain fed, as well as your typical chicken schnitzel options.
Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  17
Share: email  facebook  twitter
Why? Dinner
When: Lunch and Dinner
Phone: 5537 3066
Where: Runaway Bay
Cost: approx $25 for main meal
Your Comment
Articles from other cities
Featured
Foodi Photoh Classie
Top Events
Popular Articles
Categories
Lists
Questions