... a dreamer, freelance writer, naturopath, mother & former social work student based in the Blue Mountains. Continue the journey with me- Soul Home: https://www.instagram.com/the_soul_home/thewildemoon: https://www.instagram.com/thewildemoon/
Published February 7th 2013
In the interests of helping out all you blokes, here are some impossibly romantic ideas that won't cost much more than the time you put into it. Or for girls who like to take the initiative, perhaps you can try them out yourselves.
1. The Romantic Picnic. Most girls are crazy for picnics. Especially when they don't have to put together the tidbits. Make sure you pack her fave foods and not just the things you're into. Add something naughty and something nice. Wear the clothes she loves you best in. Look into her eyes, listen and pay attention. Don't forget the picnic rug and research the area you're heading to and the weather so that there are no disappointments. Mozzies and foul weather have been known to kill off many a picnic.
2. Lovers Lookout. Drive or walk to a lookout and watch the sun go down. Add wine, crackers, chocolates, plenty of kissing and some D&M moments and you have a recipe for success. If you're sitting in your car, do make sure you get rid of those horrible orange peel odours and all that stuff you left on the back seat. I strongly suggest a vacuum and some nice smelling sachets.
3. Romantic Night In. Fill the house with candles and have her favourite dinner waiting for her when she arrives. Add soft music and voilà! The surprise factor is important. Blindfold your lady before she steps in the door. How you attend to her is all part of this deal. Your offering will be tainted if she ends up washing up or listening to your problems for two hours. Wait on her, make scintillating conversation and add all the requisite romantic touches.
Candles are an essential ingredient for a romantic night in.
4. The Massage. No need to pay for this when you have two capable hands of your own. Buy some nice-smelling oils to use and make sure the room is warm. Once again, the atmosphere you create is key. Candles and soft music is essential. Add a few "I love you's" in between the relaxing music.
5. The Proposal. If you were planning to tie the knot anyway, why not pop the question on Valentine's Day. The bonus of choosing Valentine's day is that it gets you out of the pickle of what to do on the day. Make sure you mean it though, or this could seriously backfire.
6. The Song. Write a song for your beloved and surprise her with it on the day. Only for the musically inclined – for obvious reasons. Also might require a bit of skill and planning. You could cheat by playing her a love song crafted by someone else that nonetheless expresses your intimate feelings about her.
7. The Poem. This is the wordsmiths version of the song. I would presume it also requires a tad less skill, but that depends on your ability with the written word. Don't pop this on some stained foolscap or you risk looking cheap and unplanned rather than spontaneous and romantic. Beautiful writing paper or card housed inside a pretty envelope will get you more kudos.
8. The Love Letter. A slightly different angle on the poem, a letter has more flexibility, so is easier to prepare. Do your calligraphy on a beautiful card or once again on some beautiful paper. Anything that mentions her beauty, kindness and other amazing qualities or that reflects on her importance to you is going to hit the mark. However, the key is to be genuine. Women aren't stupid and will soon pick up anything that sounds fake or smaltzy.
9. The Home-Made Gift. Not all of us have the fortune to be artistically inclined. But, with the amount of women that are into tradies, blue-collar boys have by no means lost the edge when it comes to winning feminine hearts. As we all know, women love men to fix things. Perhaps construct that pond she wanted in the back-yard? Or get that indoor theatre finally rigged up. Construct a jewellery box or other trinket. Just make sure your home-made gift coincides with her dreams and desires, otherwise it might look like you've made something for yourself.
10. The Pledge. There's nothing more romantic than a lover's pledge. It could be your promise to look after her and love her forever. Alternatively, it could be to improve yourself and work on your faults or to try harder to please her in some specific aspect. Enshrine your pledge in some meaningful ritual such as a bouquet of roses, planting of a tree or whatever takes your fancy. A word of caution: promises that aren't kept are cheap gifts and will only make you look very bad.
For best effects why not combine a couple of these.
Girls – if you like this, please click on the 'like' button or share on Facebook. Hopefully your guy will see this. And it doesn't have to be Valentine's Day in order to please your lover. Any of these ideas can be used to gee up your relationship, amend past hurts or take things to the next level.