Proudly South African. Currently residing in amazing Melbourne. Lover of music, reading, animals and exploring. Vet nurse/freelance writer and editor. www.instagram.com/melbournetogo
Graze and gulp at these free foodie events along the Yarra
Free foodie-focused events will span over a kilometre of the Yarra Promenade at the end of March as part of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival.
Presented by Melbourne Water, River Graze will provide food, entertainment and drinks on the river's edge over the opening weekend of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival - from Friday 31 March until Sunday 2 April.
River Graze is for the whole family, encompassing a wide range of free events for foodies of all ages.
The Rive Graze events, which are free and do not require tickets to attend, include:
- Fed in French, a showcase of French fare from all regions of France in Federation Square
- Southgate Cider Orchard, which will have five of Australia's best ciders for you to try, as well as cider-friendly food for you to pair it with
- Food Truck Stop, a selection of Melbourne's best food trucks will park along the Southbank promenade and serve up their original delicious dishes, as well as a special dish created just for the festival
- Little Foodies, a produce patch for kids on Southbank promenade where they can learn about food by picking, smelling and tasting seasonal produce straight from the soil
- City Cellar, which is bringing some of Victoria's best wine producers to Southbank promenade to help you stock up on some of Victoria's best wine and wine-friendly snacks such as cheese, charcuterie and seafood
- Mercado de la bar & eatery, which is providing a Spanish market experience complete with Spanish seafood and wine at Arbory
- Sweet Alley, a gathering of all of the country's best dessert and pastry masters and their desserts and sweet treats in one place, Signal
- Crown Live Pizza Festival featuring T'Gallant, at which you'll be able to join a pizza making masterclass with Gradi's Johnny Di Francesco, as well as enjoy some live music and entertainment at Crown
The one River Graze event that is ticketed is the South Wharf Craft Beer Weekend, a celebration of Australia's best craft beer and cider producers paired with gourmet food and live music at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre. General admission is $20, while a weekend pass is $35.
In addition to all these land-based events, floating on-water activities will take River Graze right out onto the water as well. The world's largest floating fruit bowl is set to make an appearance and is expected to wow.
Through these events Melbourne Water wishes to accentuate the role Melbourne's water plays in our thriving food culture.
Take a wander and graze your way along the Yarra River or take a seat and enjoy the spectacular view with a full glass and soon to be full stomach.