Black pepper Olive oil (enough to cook chicken) 6 cloves garlic, peeled and whole 12 shallots, peeled and whole (or 1 and 1/2 onions cut chunky) 3/4 cup red wine vinegar 1 cup chicken stock 400g tin diced tomatoes
Veggies (I use 1 zucchini, 2 carrots, 1 stick celery and about 6 medium sized button mushrooms. Also good with chopped potato)
The original recipe doesn't use all of these veggies but I like to add them. Just be aware that adding too many veggies might take some flavour away - that's okay, just add a little more tomato and stock. Would also be great with some fresh herbs and served with parsley.
1. Heat oil in a casserole dish and brown chicken.
2. Add garlic and onions and turn heat up high until you can hear a bit of a sizzle.
3. Pour in red wine vinegar - it should instantly sizzle. Shake pot once or twice whilst you let the vinegar reduce (it is important for this to be on a high temperature otherwise it will not reduce properly and will taste sharp).
4. When not a lot of liquid remains add tomatoes, stock and veggies. Mix well, bring to boil and cover.
5. Put in a 180C (fan forced) oven and cook for 30 minutes (again if you have used a lot of extra veg it might take some more time to cook).
6. When chicken is tender and veggies are done serve over some boiled potatoes, rice or pasta. Season with black pepper.