An amazing tourist attraction, the Great Ocean Road stretches over 250 km from Torquay to Warrnambool and is blessed with great natural beauty. No one needs an excuse to visit this fascinating place. But if you are still looking for reasons to grace the red carpet of the Great Ocean Road then here are 7 reasons as to why you should visit the Great Ocean Road.
1. Scenic route
The Great Ocean Road snakes through Torquay, Colac, Lorne, Apollo Bay, Barwon Heads and other beautiful places. The scenic route provides thought-provoking and awe-inspiring views of the coast lines. You will feel yourself exclaiming oohs and aahs as you will absorb the immense natural beauty that flanks the Great Ocean Road. Make some impromptu stops at various viewing points to revel in the great beauty that surrounds you.
2. Gorgeous beaches The Great Ocean Road winds through a huge array of remarkable beaches. Marengo Beach in Apollo Bay is truly spellbinding. Take long walks on the Marengo beach and lie down on the flawless sand as you revel in the exotic beauty enveloping your body and soul. And if you are feeling adventurous, take night walks on the beach. You will be able to admire the beauty of the night sky studded with stars while listening to the gentle sounds of the waves lapping the beach. Lorne, Barwon Heads and Port Campbell also offer enchanting beaches which will take the breath away from even the worst cynic.
3. Amazing hiking tracks There are a number of hiking tracks dotted all over the lush foliage known as the Great Otway National Park. The luxurious rainforest provides refuge to many hiking trails. These trails will transport you into a pre-medieval world, isolated from all the humdrum of your regular life. Breathe in the fresh, dewy smell as you admire 200 year old trees, ferns and mosses. Try spotting elusive wildlife or take some happy snaps of the beautiful rainforest.
4. Glorious rainfalls A plethora of breath-takingly beautiful rainfalls call the Great Otway National Park home. The Triplet Falls is a triple treat of 3 rainfalls. The Little Aire Waterfall and Erskine Falls are some of the other hidden gems. You will hear the roar of falling droplets as the air becomes pregnant with the fresh, damp smell of the water. Sit down and dwell on the enchanting beauty of mother nature, far away from the hustle and bustle of civilisation.
5. Otway Fly Treetop Adventures One of the many highlights of the Great Ocean Road is definitely the Otway Fly Treetop Adventures. You will have the options of enjoying the Otway Fly Treetop Walk and the Otway Fly Zip Line Tour.
The Otway Fly Treetop Walk is a 1 hour rainforest walk stretched over 2 km. The walk features a 600 mt long and 30 mt high steel structured treetop canopy walkway. This walkway allows you to walk, literally, on the treetops of the amazing trees in the Beech forest. It is the longest and tallest walkway of its type in the entire world. The Otway Fly Zip Line Tour is a 3.5 hour experience and includes 2.5 hours of Zip Line activity. This activity will appeal to anyone looking for heart-pounding adventures. You will find the Otway Fly Treetop Adventures at 360 Phillips Track, Beech Forest.
If you enjoy fishing then you will find numerous fishing spots in the Great Ocean Road. Apollo Bay offers pier and breakwater fishing. You will find salmon, squid, mullet, silver trevally, haddock and occasional shrimp. The Aire river and the Barham river are some of the more notable places for catching fish in the Great Ocean Road.
7. Food and drinks A number of wonderful eateries are spread all over the Great Ocean Road. Thaihouse restaurant in Apollo Bay is an excellent destination to savour delicious Thai cuisine. The deep fried fish with different combinations of salads is highly recommended. Thaihouse is situated at 18 Pascoe Street, Apollo Bay.
Chill @ the Bay is a fantastic place to sample mouth-watering Spanish fare. Don't forget to try the seafood tapas sharing platter which will woo both your tummy and soul. Chill @ the bay is located at 14 Pascoe Street, Apollo Bay.
And once you have wined and dined, you can enjoy a delightful stay at the Beeches By The Sea resort. This resort offers cosy accommodation to couples and families and is located only minutes away from the Marengo Beach and various restaurants.