I'm a freelance writer living on the Sunshine Coast.
Published December 17th 2016
The Perfect Combination of Activities and Leisure
We drove to Airlie Beach from the Sunshine Coast during the December school holidays 2016 and decided to visit Daydream Island as a full day adventure with "Cruise Whitsundays." Overall we found it to be an amazing place which catered for all groups of travellers including families.
1. No sand, no mess. The island is surrounded by pieces of broken, dead coral. There is absolutely no sand on its beaches. Walking on the hard coral is like walking on toy blocks so make sure you wear thongs or wet shoes!
Masses of dead coral line the shores of Daydream Island. (photo courtesy of author)
A half hour boat trip from Port of Airlie will get you there super quick. While most of the passengers in the inner boat cabin chose to snooze in air-conditioned comfort, admiring the gorgeous views from the outer deck is another great way to enjoy the ride. Best of all, you can visit the island for a full day trip and still have time to do all the activities the island has to offer!
Feeding rays and sharks in the main lagoon. (photo courtesy of author)
3. Nature lover's paradise. If you enjoy spending time in nature or love watching animal documentaries, you will love what this island has to offer the nature lover. Watch the fish feeding show at 10am at the reef lagoon, then take a 20 minute walk through the rainforest, or buy some fish pellets and hand-feed the wild fish near the shore at Lovers Cove. The island is also home to many types of wildlife including kangaroos and wallabies.
Kangaroos roam freely around Daydream Island. (photo courtesy of author)
4. Perfect size. Daydream Island is small enough to walk across one end to the other relatively easily (even with young kids). Alternatively, you can jump aboard a free chauffeured golf buggy for a quick ride if you don't want to do too much walking.
The track up and down the rainforest will get your heart pumping. (photo courtesy of author)
6. Food glorious food. Daydream Island is home to eight different food outlets including restaurants and bars. It even has its own bakery. But it's best to go to the bakery early for the best pick - sandwiches, croissants, foccacia pizza, muffins, and other goodies are made fresh daily and taste amazing. The bakery also stocks cold drinks, ice creams, iceblocks and slushies. Eat in air-conditioned comfort or outdoors under the shade of umbrellas. We had $70 worth of bakery vouchers as part of our day trip booking so we were glad we could buy cold treats to beat the heat!
Feeding fish in the wild is a real treat. (photo courtesy of author)
7. Activities for kids. Guests staying on the island have access to a kids club. But there are plenty of things to do for day trippers too, starting with a 19 hole mini golf course. The "Around Australia" themed mini-golf course is a great way to reflect on the diversity of this great country. Each hole pays tribute to a different part of Australia through miniature buildings/landmarks and statues of people/animals. Other activities for kids include an outdoor kids playground, tennis courts, and a games room filled with coin-operated machines.
A picture perfect day in paradise. (photo courtesy of author)
A choice of sparkling pools makes swimming a very pleasant experience. There is even a shallow pool for toddlers. The best part is that the pools are never crowded (unlike resorts with only one pool) so you can swim in a number of locations as you traverse the island.
You're spoilt for choice when it comes to swimming pools. (photo courtesy of author)
9. Going to the Chapel. Getting married soon? Consider getting married on the island and staying there for your honeymoon! The Endeavour Wedding Chapel could be the perfect place for your nuptials. It is very modern and the large glass walls capture amazing views.
The enchanting Mermaids of Mermaid Beach on Daydream Island. (photo courtesy of author)
10. Feeling relaxed is an understatement! The energy of Daydream Island makes you so relaxed, you quickly forget all your troubles. I think it may have something to do with the many mermaid statues located all over the island! It actually feels like some kind of reset button and after staying there for a day I felt so refreshed and relaxed as if I had stayed there a whole week! I'm captivated by the mermaid's spell and look forward to seeing them again soon.
A tropical paradise I will definitely visit again. (photo courtesy of author)