1. Sunshine While the other side of the world is dreaming of a white Christmas, we're putting on sunscreen and going for a swim after a big lunch. Forget cold hands and snowmen, let's talk sun kissed cheeks and sandmen! Whether you head to Surfers Paradise or the Sunshine Coast, there is plenty of coastline for everyone and their Chrissy lunch.
Image courtesy of costumecollection
Speaking of lunch, what's one word that is synonymous with Christmas lunch in Brisbane? Seafood! That's right, get those tastebuds ready and limber up your fingers, it's prawn peeling time!
If you're on the north side, Morgan's Seafood at Scarborough is the place for your fresh and festive fish or beautiful bah-hum Moreton Bay bugs!
Or if you're near the Gold Coast, head to the Gold Coast Fishermens Co-op. This place is really popular due to its great reputation for excellent seafood deliciousness, so make sure you get there super early with an esky to keep your catch cold. Otherwise, check out their Fishermens Co-Op website here for daily updates and also a lot of good tips for handling seafood.
3. Southbank Christmas Markets If you find yourself wondering what it would be like to wander along the cobblestone streets in Europe, exploring the Christmas markets with beautiful hand made crafts and seasonal treats, then South Bank is the place for you this Christmas.
The traditional Christmas market will make it easy for you to immerse yourself in the wonder of the festively decorated stalls that line the cobblestoned streets of the Stanley Street Plaza this December.
Whether you're looking to finish your present shopping or just a lovely stroll under the fairy lights with the scent of real Christmas trees lingering in the air, then these markets won't disappoint.
4. Christmas Fireworks Spectacular If you're like me, you love any opportunity to watch the night sky come alive with the beauty and wonder of fireworks. And why not experience it at the most wonderful time of the year, Christmas! At South Bank between 17 – 21 December, find yourself a comfy spot along the river and get ready for the Christmas Firework Spectacular!
Or if you'd prefer to 'ooh and ahh' from a different angle, why not watch the fireworks from the Wheel of Brisbane, which will be offering free tickets to kids under 12 from 6-9.30pm on each night of the fireworks. The Visit Brisbane website has all your info.
5. Fresh Festive Fruit
Christmas is stone fruit season. And what a healthy, fun way to finish your lunch with a classic pavlova with all the fresh trimmings of banana, peaches, nectarines and passionfruit or a platter of the most delicious fruit this state has to offer.
For tantalising recipes that would satisfy the whole family, head over to the Taste website.
6. Lighting of the Christmas tree
Head over to King George Square in the city on November 27 to watch Queensland's largest solar powered tree switched on. It's a great way to start the season, singing carols with Santa under the massive illuminated tree.
The tree will grace Brisbane's night sky until Christmas eve.
7. City Hall light spectacular
The CBD will come to life under the magical light projection show of the City Hall Light Spectacular.
This year between December 11 – December 24, be delighted by the colour and wonder of this year's Nutcracker theme. The show goes on every 15 minutes, listen out for the clock tower's signal for the next show!
8. Myer Christmas Parade
This spectacular parade runs down Queen Street Mall, with hundreds of characters and inflatable decorations, nightly from 6.30pm December 11 – 20. Watch the city come alive with colour, beauty and festive cheer and of course, let's not forget the star of the show Santa and his reindeer!
The whole family is going to love watching (and dancing along) to this wonderful Brisbane tradition.
9. 4KQ Christmas Lights
Want to see Brisbane at its brightest and sparkliest? Want to feel part of the community by strolling with your family and friends through the streets of this great city?
Back for its 29th year, the 4KQ Christmas Lights Competition is on! This year, Brisbane residents could win a share of over $25k and not to mention the celebrity of being a winner in this iconic local tradition.
Entries close on November 25th , with final judging taking place by the 6th December. The winners are announced and the entrant listing is posted around the 7th December. Voting for the People's Choice Awards is open 17-19 December. For more details about dates and conditions, visit the 4KQ website.
Image courtesy of 4kq
10. Lions Christmas Cakes
Do I really need to say more? Funds raised from their fruit cakes and puddings, helps hundreds of families in need and you get a beautiful cake out of it! What have you got to lose? Help a wonderful charity and head over to the Lion's website to order your cake now.