I am a writer living in Annerley, Brisbane. I write about my suburb and other local spots. If you like my articles please subscribe (just after my name) or 'like' at the end of the post to let me know what else I should write! I love comments too :)
Do something unusual this year and make NYE special
Not a fan of New Year's Eve crowds but still love to have a party? Here's a list of a few fun ideas for you to do this year which don't involve braving an crowds or ending up at a party where you don't know anyone and there aren't enough cabs to get home.
1. Host your own - Get your mates round to your house for a few drinks, nibblies and laughs but to make it comfortable for everyone, turn some space in your house in a 'mega-bed' where those who are party-weary can lay down and kip for the night without the need to drive home or catch a cab. Get guests to bring thin or blowup mattresses and bedding to add to the pile and they will be thankful at the end of the night. You could also ask your guests to bring a plate to make it easy to cater and low cost.
2. Make it all about the kids - If you have children and can't bear the idea of staying up until midnight, set the clocks forward a few hours and pretend that midnight is earlier in the night. You'll all get a good night's sleep but still feel like you brought in the new year. Invite your adult friends and other kids around and serve children's party food and drinks so everyone can be spared a hangover in the new year.
3. Book a house - this might take a bit more cash but if you get enough friends together, you can get really great deals on large, multi-roomed houses in your own city or a few hours away which you can all share in the costs to rent. Then add party food, takeout or a meal you all cook together and you've got a fun party where everyone can crash in their own room once they're done for the night.
4. Party in the Dead Centre of town - It might not be everyone's cup of tea but the city's cemeteries have some of the best views of Brisbane for the NYE fireworks and you won't be shoulder to shoulder with half of Brisbane. Sure, there's a few people under the ground but as long as you are respectful and take all mess with you when you go, you can have a spooky and fun night with your mates. Great if you have a love of the macabre - you might even want to make it a dress up party.
5. Have an 'Anti New Year' Party - If you want to party like it's NYE but you want to do it without all the crowds, just change the date. Parents have long been threatening to change Christmas Day to a later day in the year to make the most of sale shopping so why not move your New Year's celebrations to the day after or a week later to have a fun night out without the crowds? You will be able to get a booking at your favourite restaurant or sit at a bar without being jostled as you order your drinks. Bliss for those who hate crowds but want to celebrate.
These are just a few of the ways you can think outside the box this year but you can tailor make your own party for just a few mates or everyone you know. Whatever you do, make sure you're having fun and not just following the crowds.