Aspiring writer (particularly in film & music). Pop culture enthusiast.
Published September 28th 2011
Summer is approaching, and that means it's the perfect weather to start making fulfilling salads as main meals, or to have as a side dish.
Quinoa is known as a superfood. It's slowly making a name for itself in Australia and becoming more and more popular. You can find it at most local grocery stores such as Woolworths and Coles or you can try a health store near you.
Many people have problems when it comes to cooking Quinoa. It's taken me several tries before getting it perfect. I like to cook a large amount at one time so I can keep it in the fridge (it'll last for a week in a sealed container) and then I can add tablespoons of it to my daily lunches, or dinners.
Here is a salad that I often eat during summer, and absolutely love it. The quinoa and beans make it a high-protein lunch which keeps me full until dinner time.
Cherry tomatoes 1 cup of quinoa Handful of pecans (optional) Rocket
1 can of Three Bean Mix Balsamic dressing (optional)
1. Put 1 cup of quinoa in a saucepan and soak it in water for 15 minutes with the lid on. This will help take away the bitterness of the quinoa.
2. Rinse the quinoa and transfer into a saucepan. Add 1 cup of water, and bring to the boil.
3. As soon as it's boiling, put it on low heat and bring to a simmer, and put the lid back on. I usually let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, but you have to check it, you don't want to over cook it, or it'll be ruined. When the seeds start to look light and fluffy, it's ready.
4. Take it off the heat and leave the lid on for another 5 minutes. Then take the lid off and separate with a fork.
5. Once you're quinoa is cooked and cooled transfer the desired amount to a plate. Add your three bean mix, cherry tomatoes, rocket, and pecans. Season with salt and pepper and olive oil. You may choose to add balsamic dressing. Toss well.
6. It is better to cook the quinoa the day before and leave it in the fridge, that way it'll only take you 5 minutes to make your lunch.