The Copper Coast is home to a number of historic churches including the rather grand Queens Square Uniting / Methodist Church, built immediately beside its smaller sibling on Robert Street. The (now) Uniting Church still holds regular Sunday mass.
The original (small) Methodist Church was built in 1867. The congregation in the burgeoning copper mining town grew, and during 1874-75 the much larger and grander, Gothic style Methodist Church was built immediately beside it. Both buildings remain in use today. They face Queens Square across Robert Street, Moonta.
Pulpit, Uniting / Methodist Church, Robert Street, Moonta
The free-standing pulpit is built of Bath stone. The choir platform was added in 1900. There is much symbolism in the carved and moulded fittings. The church had been designed to accommodate the addition of a mezzanine gallery, which was never built.
The original (small) Methodist Church, Robert Street, Moonta, celebrated its 150th anniversary in February 2017.
The original church is now used as a hall. Buildings behind the hall are utilised by local groups, including NYP Art Group that meets regularly on Tuesdays, 10am - 2pm.
Join the art group for a casual weekly rate of only $3.50, or an annual fee of just $20. The NYP (Northern Yorke Peninsula) Art Group hold frequent exhibitions, including a SALA exhibition in August at the neighbouring Moonta Art Gallery in the former Town Hall, George Street, Moonta.
Town Hall, art gallery, as seen from Queens Square, Moonta