True love doesn't have to cost a thing. Your partner wants you to put them first, to be there when they cry and to love them and only them unconditionally. Gifts and fancy dinners are nice but a love that you want to last a lifetime needs so much more!
So what can you do to keep your love alive and show them that you love them?
Here a 10 things that cost nothing but can make a huge difference to the one you love. They are easy to do but we get so busy in life we forget to do them.
1) Write them a love letter. Instead of texting or phoning them, write a letter on actual paper. No one really does this much anymore which makes it all the more special.
2) Leave notes in their lunch bag or laptop bag. Hide little I love you hand written notes into their bag to find throughout the day. This little surprise is sure to brighten up their day.
3) Use a lipstick to write love messages on the mirror. It's easy to draw with lipstick and its the perfect colour for a big love heart. You could even have a message that is spread over all the mirrors in their house. Then they will have a special path to walk that leads to the end of the message.
4) Compliment them randomly and often on the inside and outside. Don't wait for a big fancy occasion - offer compliments on how they look, their hair, their clothes, and even their personality. Try: you are such a caring person, I love how sweet you are, when you walk into a room you make everyone smile, or wow you are so gorgeous how did I get so lucky? Everyone loves an ego boost from their partner.
5) Look after them when they have had a bad day or are sick. Comfort them, bring them food and drink, tell them they are gorgeous even with their PJs on, cuddle up on the couch with them and watch TV. Take over the chores and allow them to have a shower or go to sleep instead. Go to the doctor with them. TLC really does help.
6) When they are sad you don't have to fix it. Just hold them, let them cry on you, and don't ignore their emotion or trivialise it. Stroke their hair, tell them you love them. Ask what you can do to help, don't just guess. Listen to them and ask questions.
7) Write a poem for them. Don't worry if you don't know exactly how to - it's more about the fact that you spent the time and energy to do so just for them. Whether it is full of rhymes or corny and sweet, it's from the heart and it will show them how special they really are to you. It is something they can keep forever and read whenever they miss you.
8) Text them throughout the day little love messages. It helps to brighten up their day a bit and lets them know that even though you aren't with them you are still thinking about them and missing them.
9) Bring them tea, coffee or hot chocolate without them asking. Surprising the one that you love with these little gestures can speak huge volumes about your love and respect for them. Sometimes it is the littlest things that mean the most.
10) Show affection often. Every day hold hands, kiss and hug. Tell them they mean the world to you everyday. Say I love you in the morning and before you go to bed at night. Hold their hand as you walk next to them. Praise them in front of others. Play with their hair, whisper sweet things into their ear. Just in case it is the last time.
Remember the best things in life really are free. Deep down what we really want is to love deeply and to be completely and totally loved deeply back. We want trust, devotion and respect. Even if you are way past the dating stage you should never stop wooing them. The more effort you put into your relationship the more you will get out if it.