Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Adelaide > Comments > Can We Preserve the Parklands Under Threat of Development?
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
aojlzi
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
Dave this is the sort of debate that needs to be generated because as you so rightly say Weatherill is" keen to promote our state's development in a manner approved by the Property Council"...along with other vested interests like Business SA, building companies and the 'develop or die' brigade whose misguided drivel unfortunately attracts the media. Their cosy 'business' arrangements with the government must make them rich on the spoils that belong to the people of South Australia - not individuals who because they have access to vast lending resources, can wipe away open space, landscape, memories, community and our history and heritage. Government and development are sneaky and it makes me angry when I see the public duped by their 'spin' and smoke and mirror tactics including"public" competitions and consultation, just to do exactly as they planned all along. The Mt Barker & Woodville redevelopments, the removal of the avenue of historic trees and the whole Adelaide Oval re-development are just a few recent examples.Did you know that already the public approved and much-loved design for the Victoria Square redevelopment has already had some quite drastic and ugly redesign by the Adelaide Council to cut costs? Like so much of Adelaide design, a lack of vision and continually cutting costs results in a mishmash of tacked on tat. Rundle Mall is a great example of that. If people cared one iota, they would fight like the citizens of the great cities of the world, like New York and Paris...but hey...we remember Mt Barker and Woodville whose citizens fought valiantly to no avail. Good luck rallying the troops Dave. Terrific article.
by Keryn James (score: 1|38) 3631 days ago
by Dave Walsh (score: 4), 3631 days ago
Thanks for your comments Keryn.

I was very heartened to see at the "Riverbank Family Day" consultations that there were many pro-heritage comments re the RAH site. Nearly everyone advocated community re-use of the site, although of course the government will do as it wants!