Gayle is a retired accountant and a photography enthusiast living on Victoria's beautiful Bass Coast. Gayle is passionate about writing and keen to showcase Aussie culture to a global audience. Gayle loves her family, dogs, sunsets, and chocolate.
Published November 23rd 2019
Enter to turn your fabulous photos into funds
Taking photos can be so much fun. We snap happily away to preserve our memories by freezing our happiest moments in time. We capture magnificent vistas, our holidays, our families, our food and anything else that piques our interest. We share our images on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and more. Amongst all of these wonderful images, there will be shots that are just a bit special. You know the ones, they are your favourites. The ones you flick back to time and again. The ones that sent your social media friends into a frenzy. Why not take these personal gems and enter them into a photography competition? Here are a few to get you started.
1. Most Months: Australian Photography Magazine Monthly Competition. This competition is free to enter and has a different theme each month. Photos are uploaded to the website. The monthly prize varies; for example a BenQ SW240 image-editing monitor with an RRP of $699. The people's choice prize is a year's subscription to the magazine. https://www.australianphotography.com/yafphotocompetition/free-monthly-competition
3. March: iPhone Photography Awards. An international competition for photos taken with an iPhone or iPad which closes at end of March. There are 19 categories. There are entry fees and prizes are announced annually. https://www.ippawards.com/the-competition/
6. July: Bowness Photography Prize. Opens May and runs until July. Acquisitive prizes of $30,000 and $5,000 (2019) and exhibition at the Monash Gallery of Art. https://www.mga.org.au/bowness-prize
7. July: The International Photography Awards. This competition closes in late July. They have a non-professional category. There are monetary prizes plus exhibition across 13 categories. https://www.photoawards.com/
8. August: Leongatha Art and Photography Show. Entries are generally open from June to August and for those wishing to enter their work details can be found at https://www.leonartshow.com.au
9. August: Birdlife Australia Photography Awards. This competition accepts entries to early August in 6 categories – bird portrait, bird behaviour, human impact, honeyeaters, birds in the landscape, creative and youth. https://www.birdlifephotoaward.org.au/
10. September: Australian Photography Awards. Entries to the Australian Photography Awards open early June and run to September. This annual competition offers a diverse range of photographic categories – portrait, landscape, documentary, wildlife, mobile, student and people's choice. Even if you don't intend to enter it's worth having a look at the wonderful photography on the site. Details can be found at: https://www.australianphotographyawards.com.au/
11. September: The Nature Conservatory Australia Photo Contest. The nature photography awards will open for entries in mid-year with winners being announced in early September. The website features tips from a number of accomplished photographers and allows you to sign up for the photo contest alert. https://www.natureaustralia.org.au/get-involved/how-to-help/photo-contest/
12. September: Neutral Density Photography Awards. These are international awards with a non-professional category open from April to September. Monetary prizes plus exhibition. https://ndawards.net/
13. September: AFAR Photo Awards. This is an international competition for travel photos. It closes in mid-September. Entry fees apply and prizes are a combination of cash and product. https://www.afar.com/photoawards
14. October: The KernArt Prize. This Kernot Art show supporting local kids mental health is open to all mediums including photography. Entries are $8 (2019) each and are due for drop off late October. www.kernartprize.com/home.html
15. October: LambEx Photo Competition. This competition is open for entries until mid-October. There is an annual theme which was 'An Innovative Sheep Industry' in 2019. The prize is $500. There are two categories. Entries are to be uploaded. https://lambex.com.au/lambex-photo-competition/