Do you often have people say to you "your turn will come" or "Mr Right is just around the corner"? Perhaps you don't live in fear of the toilet seat being up in the middle of the night or you find you have all the blankets to yourself?
Sound familiar? Then you must be single!
I am currently 'husband-ly challenged'. And sure, I'd like for that to change one day but don't feel sorry for me, I haven't started collecting cats just yet. For now, I am happily married to single life and it's perks. And boy, does single life have some perks! Here are my top five:
1. You can actually enjoy a visit to IKEA at Logan! There are no groans and complaints about the store's layout followed by an extensive conversation about exit strategies. Take as long as you like to stroll through and try the different couches and beds and admire how the drawers close themselves! And the biggest bonus: you don't have to share your plate of meatballs!
2. Eat what you like, when you like – don't feel like cooking dinner? Then don't!
Have a bowl of cereal or better yet, pull out your fat girl pants, grab that 1kg jar of Nutella from Costco at North Lakes and pull up in front of an episode of the Bachelor, without the judgement (except maybe from the dog but what would he know, he licks the cat's butt...)
pic courtesy of weheartit.com
3. Dance like nobody is watching – because they're not! Learn the routine for Beyonce's 'Single Ladies' or better still join a dance class! Mad Dance House in the city will help get your groove on and you never know who you might be pop and locking next to you!
All the single ladies - pic courtesy of popbytes.com
4. Rise and Shine! Treat yourself to breakfast at your local farmers market Get up nice and early, grab yourself a latte and wander around your local market. Nothing beats the smell of fresh produce and admiring the local arts and crafts at your leisure. Oh and while you're there, buy yourself a beautiful bunch of flowers, you deserve them! Check out this awesome list of Brisbane markets by Julie White.
5. Scratch up on your conversation skills and put a smile on that dial
Boost your ego by engaging in a little flirtatious conversation – there are a number of places you can do this without hitting the bars. 1. Take that 'judge-y' dog for a walk (here is my list of dog parks on the northside), you never know who you might run into at a dog park and you already have a common interest 2. I have it on good authority that the Coles at New Farm on Monday night is the spot to be 3. Grab a couple of foodie friends and head to the Eat Street Markets. You are bound to find a kindred food spirit there that you could share your plate of dumplings with!
So there you have it. If you find yourself being told there are plenty of fish in the sea, remember this list and remember being single is not about being sad and lonely but about embracing it. Spend some time with someone who likes all the same things as you, agrees with everything you say and will go wherever you want to go – YOU!
What are your favourite perks to being single? Let me know if you have any other perks/suggestions to add to the list!
I can talk to my male neighbours for as long as I like.
As you mentioned - I can spend hours doing nothing, but still getting to see everything I want.
I can BUY whatever I want.
My cat can sleep on my bed.
My best and most favourite is that I can eat whatever I like, whenever I like.
I can watch TV or read as long as I like.
Some downers :
I hate taking out the garbage
I have already been married three times so see no necessity to marry again in order to be "accepted" into society.
Love being single too. Can eat when I want go out when I want come home when I want, flirt with anyone I want, only pay for myself ... the list goes on. :) Marrid once and enjoyed it but much happier single.
The pressure is on to be attached by those who are attached by a nose ring a wedding ring or someone in the three ring circus. Being single is harder than being attached and it takes guts etc to be alone. Mr Right is around the corner but I want to find mine around the right corner not the wrong one.A guy who's name isn't ''Mr Right All The Time''