Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
list an event      1 million Australian readers every month      facebook

Pensioners Get Free Travel Passes to Explore WA

Home > Perth > Disabled Friendly | Free | Seniors | Trains | Travel
by Nadine Cresswell-Myatt (subscribe)
Freelance writer exploring Melbourne and beyond. If you enjoy the following article click on the Like button, Facebook it to your friends or subscribe. I'll update you with yummy and often free events. Like my photos? I instagram @redbagwilltravel
Published May 3rd 2020
Get ready early for your next trip
 buses western australia
Transwa Facebook

Western Australian pensioners are entitled to free travel passes to help them fully explore their own state. Pensioner free travel entitlements include WA concession card holders, Centrelink and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Why mention this when travel restrictions are still on?

It's worth mentioning so you can get yourself sorted and plan ahead. Because if ever there was a year to explore your own vast backyard, this is the one. So now is the perfect time to start the wheels turning by getting your free passes organised.

In previous years, these passes were posted out. From January 2020, Centrelink and the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) stopped sending WA Free Trip Vouchers with new concession cards.

You are entitled to the passes but need to apply, so organise these so you can travel when permitted to do so.

How do you apply

You complete the online form and submit it with a scanned copy of both sides of your concession card.

If you don't have a scanner in your home, I would suggest going to a local Officeworks store as they have a really cheap and quick service and they do this kind of tech for you. Local store locator.

Or you can do it the old-fashioned way and print out the registration form and post it with a copy of both sides of your concession card.

For online registration, click here.

The printed registration is here.

Where do you send the application to?

If posting then send to Transwa
Reply Paid 85335
Locked Bag 7

Email forms to

Once you've been registered, you'll can start dreaming up ways to use your free return passes.

Where could you start thinking about going?

Perth to Albany - by bus and there are a couple of different routes. The journey takes about 6-7 hours.

Perth to Bunbury by train. The journey is about 2.5 hours.

Perth to Dunsborough bus service. The bus to Augusta and Pemberton calls at Dunsborough on the way. The journey takes about 4.5 hours.

Perth to Kalgoorlie - Train 6.45 hours. Look out for pensioner packages.

Perth to Esperance - Between 10 and 12 hours depending on how you go.

Esperance Visitors Centre
Esperance Visitors Centre Facebook

Perth to Geraldton by bus. The journey takes 7 hours.

The trip to Kalgoorlie looks like a lot of fun.

If travelling by coach, these are fitted with an entertainment system that includes individual sound controls and USB points, a bathroom and refrigerated drinking water. They also meet current disability standards and include a hoist to allow wheelchairs on board.

Pink lake WA
Photo Kalgoorlie-Boulder Visitor Centre Facebook. View taken by Goldfields Air Services Flying School which runs flights over Kalgoorlie Boulder

Plus, your Transwa ticket includes free travel on Transperth train services, as long as you are doing this longer trip on the same day.

You'll be able to find out more about tickets and routes by clicking here.

When travel is permitted how do you book?

1. Visit a Transwa Booking Centre
2. Head to an accredited ticketing agent
3. Book online using your customer reference number (CRN) or DVA file number and date of birth
4. Call Transwa at 1300 662 205

For more booking details, click here.

You will need to keep your Concession Card or Centrelink Digital Wallet with you when you book and when you travel.

What use is this to me I live too far north?

Western Australian residents living above the 26th parallel should contact the Department of Transport for details on their free travel entitlements.

If you are a pensioner who lives north of the 26th parallel, you are entitled to one return journey by air or coach per year to Perth or elsewhere in the South West Land Division (provided the fare is not greater than that to Perth).

This is about the government's commitment to making transport services accessible to all Western Australians.

The Department of Transport (DoT) manages Pensioner Annual Free Trip Scheme entitlements for Pensioner Concession Cardholders that live north of the 26th parallel. The 26th parallel begins at Shark Bay in Western Australia, north of Geraldton.

To be eligible for the scheme, you must have lived north of the 26th parallel continuously for the last two years or more, and hold a Pensioner Concession Card from the Department of Human Services (DHS)/Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA).

Check out this link for eligibility

For Interstate Pensioners

Seniors nationally are entitled to a 50% concession on all Transwa services. To find out more click here.

Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  57
Share: email  facebook  twitter
Why? Perhaps you now have time to travel
When: When internal travel restrictions have eased
Phone: Call Transwa at 1300 662 205
Where: Western Australia
Cost: FREE
Your Comment
Articles from other cities
Top Events
Popular Articles