The Paringa Bridge over the River Murray has been listed as a South Australian heritage place since 1989. It is considered to be of state heritage value because of its then outstanding construction techniques and design characteristics. Its construction and design demonstrated a high degree of technical accomplishment in the early 1900s.
Opened in 1927, this significant engineering relic was designed by South Australian Railways and fabricated by Perry Engineering of Adelaide. It was built in such a way as to allow riverboats to traverse that stretch of the river through a raised section of the bridge. The vertical-lift span is 24 metres long and rises nine metres in 90 seconds. As one of the significant early steel bridges over Australia's longest river, it is still in operation today with the movable span opening twice a day at approximately 9:30am and 2:30pm. The lifting is a free service, however, bookings are required at least two hours in advance.