Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
list an event      1 million Australian readers every month      facebook

Open Day @ Historic Linnwood

Home > Sydney > Antiques | Historic Houses | Outdoor
by glenop (subscribe)
So much to see...so little time to see it all.
Event:
Guildford's Secret Historic House
Image courtesy Friends of Linnwood
Image courtesy Friends of Linnwood


Buried away in the back blocks of suburban Guildford is the remarkable Linnwood House. That it has survived the rapacious appetite of governments of all persuasions to sell its assets for a quick buck is due in no small means to people power, in this case. The Friends of Linnwood, who now help to preserve and protect the property. Every two months, the Friends open the doors of Linnwood to visitors and also have various other displays, market stalls, refreshments and entertainment to keep any visitor busy and well fed.

Linnwood was built in 1891 by George McCredie and today is surrounded by five hectares of park land. McCredie was a prominent businessman of the day and at various times the Mayor of Holroyd and the Independent member for the State seat of Central Cumberland.

The impressive main hall at Linnwood


One of the many wonderful stained glass windows


A few years after his death in 1903, his wife Susan McCredie leased the property to the Education Department as the state's first and only Boys Truant School. The department then purchased the property in 1921 and it subsequently fulfilled numerous roles including a residential girl's school for State Wards and a Special Training School for Home Science for girls from deprived backgrounds. With changes in the welfare system, homes like Linnwood gradually became superfluous to the Department of Community Services' needs.

After learning of the Department's plans to sell the property on the open market, the Friends of Linnwood formed in 2002 to help 'preserve and protect' the property.

Linnwood was listed on the NSW State Heritage Register in February 2003.

One of period furnished rooms at Linnwood


There's always entertainment at a Linnwood Open Day


Between 11.00 am and 4.00 pm this Sunday, the Rover Owners Club NSW/ACT will have a display of cars on the front lawn. Inside the house, there will be an exhibition by the Carnival Glass Collectors Association showing a wide range of colourful glassware from Australia, USA, Europe and Argentina. There will be lots of art & craft stalls to do some Christmas shopping and you can see a display of WWI photos to commemorate Remembrance Day and hear a performance by the City of Holroyd Brass Band at 1.45pm.
Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  61
Share: email  facebook  twitter
Why? An historic treat
When: Sunday 9 November
Phone: 9632 9203
Where: 25 Byron Road, Guildford
Cost: Free Admission to grounds. $3 entry to house with children under 5yrs admitted free
Your Comment
So glad this property was saved!
by jolie (score: 1|96) 2154 days ago
It's a gem in the suburbs of Sydney!
by pam (score: 1|57) 2154 days ago
Articles from other cities
Featured
611
Related
by Gary Brown on 23/10/2019
by Gary Brown on 02/09/2019
by Gary Brown on 17/06/2019
by Gary Brown on 23/02/2019
by Gary Brown on 22/10/2018
by Gary Brown on 21/08/2018
by Gary Brown on 22/06/2018
by Gary Brown on 26/02/2018
by Gary Brown on 22/10/2017
by Gary Brown on 04/07/2017
by Gary Brown on 24/02/2017
by Gary Brown on 08/11/2016
by Gary Brown on 16/09/2016
by Gary Brown on 04/07/2016
by Gary Brown on 23/10/2015
by Gary Brown on 27/07/2015
Top Events
Popular Articles
Categories
Lists
Questions