I am a freelance writer born in Johannesburg now living in Melbourne. I love travelling and have lived in London and Taipei as well as travelling in and around South Africa. I have a great interest in exploring and love to share my finds with others.
Published July 29th 2012
Drink like a Londoner
Summer Olympic fever has hit the world once again as World flags fly high for the 2012 London Olympic Games. Conversations will inevitably turn to medal tallies and favourite events and highlights from the Opening ceremony continue to be a hot topic.
To celebrate this fantastic event why not enjoy a tasty London and United Kingdom inspired beverage while you sit back and enjoy some of the best athletes in the World compete to create their own Olympic dreams.
1 shot Pimms Ginger Ale 2 slices of cucumber 1 slice of lemon 1 slice of lime 1 slice of orange
• Ice cubes
- Place the fruit and cucumber at the bottom of a standard sized glass and use a muddling stick (or the back of a spoon) to bruise the fruit and release some of their juices.
- Add a handful of ice cubes to the glass.
- Add Pimms to the glass and top with Ginger ale.
- Mix all liquid ingredients (triple sec, mango liquor and orange juice) over ice in a shaker and shake.
- Strain mixed cocktail into a chilled glass and garnish with Orange slice
3. The Dubonnet Cocktail (Favourite of Queen Elizabeth II)
According to my research the Dubonnet cocktail was first fashioned in the 1840s to assist French Foreign Legion Troops take the Malaria drug Quinine. Dubonnet itself is a sweet, wine-based aperitif and when served in this way as a cocktail is a favourite of Queen Elizabeth II as well as her Mum.
• 1 shot of Dubonnet
• 1 shot of Dry Gin
• 1 slice of Lemon
Add a few ice cubes to a standard size glass.
Pour in shot of Dubonnet and shot of gin.
Mix gently with a stirrer or spoon.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with the lemon.
4. The Brit
• 1 shot of Vanilla Vodka
• 1 shot of Cherry Liqueur
• Lemon juice
• Pineapple Juice
• Maraschino Cherry
Pour Vanilla Vodka, Cherry Liqueur, a splash of Lemon juice into an iced shaker – top with pineapple juice ¾ full and shake.
Add mixed cocktail to a chilled glass and garnish with maraschino cherry.