Looking at this simple design square building on Smith St, Darwin in front of Civic Park, no one will believe what this building has gone through. It is the Old Town Hall Ruins that were destroyed by Cyclone Tracy in 1974. This building was restored recently using the rubble had been stored in government storage for more than 40 years.
Darwin Town Hall was designed in 1882 and constructed from 1882 until 1883. The Town Hall ruins are now a popular tourist attraction in Darwin. Previously it served as a library, a court house and a bank before functioning as a Navy workshop and storage area during the war.
Supporting pole errected to support the original wall of Town Hall
Original stones were used for restoring this building
Surrounded by big green trees and a shady area, people can stay there for awhile, admiring the remarkable history that this building has gone through. You can read more about the history about this building from an information board in front of the ruins. It is great to see history being preserved for the next generations.