This is my favourite vegetarian recipe which I've been dishing up to both vegetarians and confirmed meat eaters for years. The ricotta can be eaten on it's own or with other side dishes. Same goes for the salad. Play around with the quantities, nothing is set in concrete (the best way to cook).
Ingredients 500g piece of ricotta (buy from the deli)
1. Place parmesan, pine nuts, paprika, oregano, and 2 tab. spoons of the oil in a bowl and mix.
2. Press this mixture firmly on all sides of the ricotta.
3. Either heat remaining oil on a hot barbeque griddle and cook ricotta 10 minutes each side. Or bake for 1/2 an hour on 180c. Brush baking pan with extra oil first.
4. When cooked, allow to stand for 10 minutes then slice.
5. Line a large serving platter with the salad ingredients, then arrange ricotta slices on top.
6. Whisk dressing ingredients together
7. Drizzle over salad.
This recipe is meant for the firm pieces of ricotta that you buy over the counter at the deli. I don't think it would work very well with the softer kind that comes in a tub.