Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
list an event      1 million Australian readers every month      facebook

NoRuYeLo

Home > Adelaide > Charity | Fashion
by Tema (subscribe)
Write because you want to, not because you have to.
Published July 22nd 2018
Slow fashion is the new black
Walk to your wardrobe and have a look at the amount of clothing in there. Chances are that you're not using more than 10% of them, which means that the rest of the 90% will either be donated or end up in landfill.

What we don't realise is how much the overflow of that landfill contributes towards the degradation and downfall of the environment.

To curb this issue, two ladies - Snezana Swarbrick and Sanya Zunic - have set up a not-for-profit social enterprise that will aim to recycle, repurpose, and recreate new items of clothing from scraps of unwanted / unused ones.

Snezana Swarbrick and Sanya Zunic (photo by Fatema Sitabkhan)


NoRuYeLo is derived from their mission:
No (to) rubbish (No Ru)
Yes (to) Love (Ye Lo)


Swarbrick and Zunic are avid lovers of fashion that is sustainable and ethical and through the selection of clothing that they have on offer, they have crafted some versatile designs that can be worn in many different ways. They are committed to empowering people with barriers to employment, by creating a team of people who are not only fairly treated in the workspace but are also able to live sufficiently and efficiently from their earnings.

Essential raw materials (photo by Fatema Sitabkhan)


Given how the items of clothing and accessories are made from raw and recycled material, NoRuYeLo will be accepting donations from textile industries as well as individuals, so if you are looking to dispose of your wardrobe in an environment-friendly manner, then head over to their studio on Gresham Street and drop off your unloved clothing, so that they can be turned into something beautiful, re-loved, and repurposed.

(photo by Fatema Sitabkhan)


Alternatively, if there is something that needs a stitch here and a repair there, the ladies of NoRuYeLo will happily take on the task and do so, so don't feel the need to chuck your damaged goods just yet!

If you're looking for ways to be kind to the environment, then it would be beneficial to keep an eye out on NoRuYeLo's Facebook page for upcoming events and Open Studio sessions, where you can learn about the impact of fast fashion on the environment and see the recycled and repurposed clothing that the ladies have crafted in a fashionable, ethical, and sustainable manner.

Open Studio on Saturdays (photo by Fatema Sitabkhan)
Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  36
*Tema was invited as a guest
Share: email  facebook  twitter
Why? Noruyelo is an eco-friendly and ethical fashion brand that is on a mission to wage war on waste in the fashion industry.
When: Saturdays, with probability of opening hours being extended in the near future
Where: 25 Gresham St Adelaide SA 5000
Cost: $$
Your Comment
Featured
Foodi Photoh Classie
Top Events
Popular Articles
Categories
Lists
Questions