Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be - Jeremy Schwartz
As we bid farewell to year 2012 and get poised to welcome a new year, many of us would find ourselves busily scribbling away (or typing away) a whole list of things to take up or give up in the new year to enjoy a better and brighter year.
The following is a list of suggestions you can incorporate in your agenda for new years resolutions. Enjoy!
1. Get moving and get Fit
After the debauchery of Christmas and with the advent of summer, what could be a better resolution than deciding to bite the bullet and finally embark on a fitness regime. Look around, ask friends and if all else fails google it to decide on which activity or fitness plan takes your fancy. Join a gym, take up yoga, start swimming, play a sport, take up dancing, learn martial arts. All these are excellent ways to tone up, get fit and most essentially enjoy a boost in self-esteem.
2. Get a new job Aha now we are talking! Maybe in this new year you can finally take the leap of faith and quit your lousy job and get a new one. This life is too short to suffer silently and slowly perish doing something you do not enjoy or possibly hate. Explore and discover something you enjoy doing. If you can find a better job, the elevated joy and the better pay (hopefully!) will open the door for fulfilling other dreams. But unless you will seek how would you know what lies out there!
3. Pay off your debt This is a highly useful one! Paying off your debt is a noble cause which not only gets you off the hook but also leads to enhanced peace and happiness. Whether it is money you owe someone or your bills or your credit card debt, you can start anywhere! Achieving Item 2 will make this resolution easier to attain.
4. Save money for a holiday/house Saving money is a very useful resolution. Especially with the economy reeling from the Global Financial Crisis and jobs becoming more and more insecure every day, creating a nest egg appears to be the most sensible thing to do. Moreover, a nifty sum of cash can go a long way to achieve your small and big dreams like going on a holiday complete with spa and hikes or fulfilling your life-long dream of owning your own home. Start small with a piggy bank and once you have enough, put away your savings in a high interest earning savings account and let compound interest do its magic!
5. Find more time for the near and dear ones You have been very busy all year rushing around with jobs, extra-curricular activities and life in general. In this new year, squeeze out some time from your hectic life to spend with the near and dear ones. Have a picnic with your partner, enjoy a book with your child, have fun cooking with your mom, take your dog out for a walk. Do these things on a regular basis. Make a commitment to make these activities part of your routines. Our dear ones will not be there for us forever. So enjoy it when you can.
6. Get a Hobby Rejuvenate your life with a new hobby. With so many options out there you will find yourself scratching your head to choose something suitable. Have a look at learning salsa, writing, sewing, growing a veggie patch, learning a new language, getting crafty etc etc.
7. Declutter your house and thus your life This new year could be the ultimate opportunity to clean up your pantry, your house and your life. Raid the pantry, the cupboards, the cabinets and all those hidden caves under your bed. Discard the filthy, discover the missing, donate the unwanted and make more space for new possessions. Not only will you have a cleaner house but a cleaner conscience and definitely a cleaner house.
8. Give back to the society
Get a bit more time out of your life and give back to the society. Do something good without expecting anything in return. You can start with donating blood at the Red Cross, volunteering at the local legal centre or for World Vision, offering to help out an elderly person. Being charitable can take any form, shape or colour. Remember, no act is too big or too small.
9. Give up a bad habit
This new year reward yourself by giving up a bad habit. It can be as small as biting nails or as big as smoking. Do not push yourself to reach the final destination immediately. Take baby steps, have faith in yourself and even before you know it you will have accomplished your goal.
10. Do something new or challenging
Why not take the plunge and try something new or challenging this new year. It can be anything. Dance infront of strangers like no one is watching (my favourite one), explore a new place, try a new cuisine. Feeling abit more adventurous? Delve into skydiving, bungee jumping, rock-climbing, paragliding etc. There are a horde of activities to choose from. The sky is the limit!
11. Finish an incomplete project/task/plan
Everyone has some unfinished business that they will carry forward to the new year. It can be completing the unfinished landscape, redecorating the spare room, finishing up a novel etc. So here is the plan. Grab the calendar, mark out a deadline and work towards it. Do not forget to give yourself regular reminders to finish up the incomplete project. Slow and steady does win the race.
12. Learn to appreciate yourself
The last and the most important resolution, learn to appreciate yourself. Life is already difficult so try not to exacerbate the difficulties by making irrational demands on yourself. Every one of us is unique in our own ways. Learn to appreciate your niche points while working on your weaker streaks. As corny as it sounds, it is true that you need to love yourself first before you can love anyone or anything else.