Since the age of 17, I've loved New Year's Eve parties. For me, it's a chance to drink, socialise, and eat up all the leftovers from Christmas. However, despite being ridiculously fun, these parties will always end up pretty chaotic and full of very strange, uninhibited occurrences involving drunken guests. So here are my Top 10 moments, which will undoubtedly make an appearance at every New Year's Eve party...
1. A Jason Mraz wannabe will magically find a guitar... You will wonder where that instrument came from or if the house even contained one in the first place. At parties, guitars seem to materialise out of nowhere, ready for a drunken teenager to take the stage (or sofa) and treat everybody to a drunken rendition of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' by Joy Division, or 'Creep' by Radiohead. This will continue on an agonising loop until somebody either breaks the guitar, or the entire audience leaves to hunt for more snacks.
2. Inappropriate jokes will send you reeling I can't give specific examples of these in polite company, but I can provide a photographic example from last year's New Year's Eve party at my friend's house. I will say nothing, except for the fact that it references a grotesque horror film, banned in several countries:
I don't want to explain how this came into existence...
5. Photos of body parts will mysteriously appear on your camera... I'm not in any way referring to explicit photos here, I'm talking about photos of feet, legs and close-ups of eyes. If you set a drunk friend the task of care-taking your camera, then these photos will undoubtedly appear.
6. At some point in the night, the party will be taken outside Whether the neighbours have fireworks, it starts snowing, or somebody decides to go for a grumpy walk, you will find that some of the guests disappear and only emerge when they get too cold or want to get more intoxicated.
8. Somebody will cry Whether it's tears of sentimentality, extreme joy, or the realisation of how old you really are, New Year's Eve is full of raw emotions and reflections of the years gone by.
9. Somebody will break out the best wine without permission This is always painfully aggravating for adults, also embarrassing for the thief, who ends up absurdly drunk and slumped, asleep in a corner. Make sure you hide your best alcohol away, especially if there are troublesome teenagers in the house.