Thirty something girl, originally from Sydney but Brisbane is home now. Eats, drinks, socialises, watches art-house, studies the stars, and loves music. I'm a professional copywriter and editor. Hearts writing things.
Published June 25th 2013
Try this delicious snack
I'll admit, stuffed mushrooms usually look better than they taste, but I recently stumbled across a recipe and decided to tweak a few ingredients to try to dispel this urban myth.
This pizza-esq recipe combines two of the essential elements of pizza – juicy tomato and melted cheese – add it to the humble mushroom, along with a stack of other tasty ingredients, and you have an easy, delicious snack.
So while I can vouch for the tastiness of this dish... my food photography on the other hand...
4 x large field mushrooms 8 x slices pancetta 1 x Spanish onion 1 x vine-ripened tomato 6 large tablespoons cottage cheese cup tasty cheese Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Wash mushrooms and scoop out the stalk.
3. Finely shred the pancetta.
4. Finely dice the onion.
5. Lightly fry the pancetta, onion and mushroom stalks.
6. Dice the tomato and put it into a mixing bowl
7. Add the cottage cheese, season it with rock salt and cracked pepper, and stir.
8. Add the fried mixture and stir through.
9. Drizzle some Worcestershire sauce in the bowl (don't be shy), add the tasty cheese and stir it through.
10. Crumble some croutons into the mixture and give it a final stir.
11. Fill the mushroom cups with the pizza-mixture.
12. Place mushrooms on a foil lined baking tray.
13. Bake for about 25 minutes (depending on your oven), until cheese has melted and is golden brown.