Douglas has been a professional food writer since 1986. He is also an award-winning actor and director in Community Theatre and has been for many years. His blog may be found at: www.urbaneguerilla.wordpress.com
The Mundaring Truffle Festival is back once again to celebrate Oak Valley Truffles French black truffle season, taking place from 10am – 5pm on 28 and 29 July 2012.
Chef Chevalier Alain Fabregues
The entertaining gourmet weekend set in picturesque Mundaring is just a short 45-minute drive from Perth and will feature an array of truffle-themed dishes, exhibitions and master classes to inspire and tantalise your taste buds.
With a spectacular line up of chefs, the 2012 Festival will welcome Neil Perry, Guillaume Brahimi, Alain Fabrègues, Nino Zocalli, Anna Gare, Bruno Securo, Iain Lawless, Marianne Kempf, Herb Faust, Emmanuel Mollois, Xavier Pique, Dan Masters, Dan Sharpe, Don Hancey, Sophie Budd, Sunny de Ocampo and Vincenzo Velletri … and more.
Long Table 200 metre Truffle Luncheon - As the weekend kicks off at the same time as the 2012 London Olympics, Saturday will see the WA Olympic Culinary Team compete against Sunday's French Olympic Culinary Team, each preparing their finest four-course truffle dishes matched with Watershed Premium Wines.
Truffle Masterclass – Award-winning chefs Guillaume Brahimi, Alain Fabrègues (of The Loose Box Restaurant) and Emmanuel Mollois will discuss and showcase how truffles have been infused in a decadent three-course meal matched with Watershed Premium Wines.
Rockpool Rocks – After last year's sell out show, Rockpool Bar and Grill Perth is back showing off its culinary prowess. Join the rock stars of the food world, Neil Perry and Dan Masters who will share their knowledge while you enjoy various 3 Drops wine tastings!
The Divine Miss M – The West Australian's iconic food hero Margaret Johnson will bring this one hour cooking demonstration and tasting alive with a touch of sparkle thanks to Mann Champagne.
The Truffle & The Riesling – Forrest Hill Winery are celebrating 40 years of making their iconic Riesling, here Chef Dan Sharpe will showcase the triumphant mix of truffle and Riesling with some mouthwatering dishes.
The Perth Hills Wine Show - Showcasing the region's premium wines, this festival favourite includes wine glass and tastings.
Inclusive of General Entry:
The Buy West Eat Best/Linley Valley Pork Zone – Jam packed with events over both days, visitors can expect to see daily cooking demonstrations and competitions held on stage as well as an exclusive book launch from Nino Zocalli.
• Fresh Truffle and Gourmet Produce Markets – For those keen to just wander about and find some treasure, here you can purchase WA's renowned Oak Valley Truffles by the gram!
• Food Piazza - A place to chill out and relax in the dining area, with plenty of truffle dishes to taste!
• European Foods Al Forno – Delizioso! Get a little taste of Europe at the Al Forno, with cooking demonstrations and stalls brimming with coffee, cheese, bread, pasta and baked delicacies.
• Mundaring Arts Centre – Partake in free workshops that will get your creative juices flowing.
• The truffle dogs are back once again to delight and entertain the crowds.
• Entertainment will be found all around the Festival with live music, poetry and performers entertaining revelers.
Get in early to avoid disappointment as ticketed activities sell out fast and are only available online! Tickets on sale through BOCS Monday 21 May 2012, or for more information visit: www.mundaringtrufflefestival.com