A retired business owner, my passions are cooking, photography and eating. I use all three of these when I write for recipeyum.com.au which is on HubGarden
Published October 4th 2018
Seniors get a discount at many Perth cinemas
There are many movie theatres around Perth and this is a list of them. I have included the special deals given to seniors, which some cinemas do have.
1. LUNA ON SUSSEX Luna On SX is located in the middle of Essex St, which runs off Fremantle's famous cafe strip on South Terrace. Luna on SX is fully licensed with a comfortable outdoor sitting area. This cinema is just a five-minute walk from the train station at Fremantle.
There are also plenty of bike racks and you can also park in several car parks around the corner from Luna on SX, on Marine Terrace.
2. WINDSOR THEATRE This is one of the older picture theatres in Perth and they have some really good films on. The Windsor is easy to get to and is situated at 98 Stirling Highway in Nedlands. It has a free car park located behind the cinema, and it is fully licensed.
If you are going by public transport, bus numbers 102 and 107 from the Perth CBD stop metres from the door. There are also several cafes and restaurants near this cinema, so you could have a meal out also before the movie! Also not far from here for lunch or afternoon tea is Martineau's French Patisserie and they have very good snacks.
3. CINEMA PARADISO This cinema is my all time favourite! With movies that often do not get to mainstream theatres, this is an old, quaint building with a lot of character. There is parking with metres just around the corner and it is at 164 James Street, Leederville.
Cinema Paradiso is located in the heart of Northbridge's cafe and nightclub area. It has four stylish cinemas with a European flavour screen. They often have film festivals on here and theatres are fully licensed.
4. GALAXY DRIVE-IN THEATRE Being seniors, most of us will remember the good old drive-in theatres that were so popular way back in the 50's and 60's.
The Galaxy is the last remaining one here in Perth and still a pleasant place to be on a balmy Perth evening! Situated at 89 Goollelal Drive, Kingsley, they have new release movies presented on a big outdoor screen, plus a cafe where you can buy those old-fashioned fast-food snacks.
Cost is just $10 per person on weekends and less during the week.
5. LUNA PALACE, LEEDERVILLE This is another of my favourites and is at 155 Oxford Street, Leederville. You can park in the car park opposite, but this is sometimes difficult to get a spot. They also have some excellent foreign movies and movies that do not show in mainstream theatres.
Luna Leederville is located right at the cafe strip and is a funky cinema and home to the legendary New York Met Opera and National Theatre Live screenings. Once summer arrives, they open up the outside with the licensed Luna Outdoor courtyard cinema.
Easy to reach by public transport, it is just a block away from the Leederville train station. Bus numbers 15 and 401 will drop you at the front door.
6. EVENT CINEMAS
This is a chain of movies theatres in Morley, Innaloo and Whitfords Shopping Centres.
They have special deals for seniors called Cinebuzz for Seniors:
$9 standard tickets every day
Morning Tea screenings
Earn points towards free tickets
You can join here by checking out which theatre is near you.
For more information, and addresses, go to this link.
7. GRAND CINEMAS
This chain of cinemas is located at Currambine, Warwick, Armadale, Joondalup, and South Perth. They run a Silver Screen Club for current seniors card holders and the benefits here are:
When you join, a $6 movie ticket
Movies cost $10 movie
One FREE coffee or tea
Special Candy Bar offers
Regular newsletters with all the latest movie information plus the chance to win great prizes
There are conditions on some of these offers and you can check them out here.
8. HOYTS CINEMAS
This chain has cinemas in Garden City, Millennium, Southlands, and Carousel.
As a senior, Hoyts offer their Rewards Bronze program, where you will get access to exclusive benefits for FREE:
$8 movie tickets
$8 movie ticket and complimentary tea or coffee for morning tea screenings (non-members pay $10)
$4 Choc Tops
$6 Choc Top and 600 ml water bottle combo
Plus, if you're a Qantas Frequent Flyer member and have linked your account, you can earn 1 Qantas Point per $2 spent on tickets and treats.
You can join the Hoyts Reward Bronze program here, and make sure you read the conditions there first.
9. ACE CINEMAS
These are at Rockingham and Midland and they have a general Silver Club program you can join as follows:
Membership is $10
$8 standard movie ticket, any movie, any day
Special members' discount offers throughout the year
Regular e-newsletters with all the latest movie information plus the chance to win great prizes
Invites to monthly senior's morning tea
Invites to special movie screenings
You can join, read the conditions and find out addresses at this link.
10. READING CINEMAS
Reading Cinemas are located at Knutsford Avenue, Kewdale and Mandurah on the Boardwalk.
You can find out more information on these at this link.
There are some benefits to being a senior, and going to the movies is one of them! Why not join a few of these and go regularly to the movies - I always enjoy the big screen for a change from the television, as I sit and crunch on my popcorn or Chocolate Bomb!