Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Melbourne > Comments > What is the Most Australian Way to Spend Australia Day?
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
nnbiwk
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
I cringed as soon as I read you went with the opinions of that self opinionated expat Germaine Greer. Lets see. Funding for the Arts? Lets forget transport, hospitals, education, etc and find extra cash for more Gregorian Chant concerts. And yes, everyone demands better care for our elderly but is anyone actually prepared to do the job themselves? Not so long as we can import workers from the Philippines to do it.
I am so glad that we don't have to suffer through flags on our pens, cups and everything else. Most Aussie accept Australia Day as a day off work. We don't need to dwell on the reasoning behind it because we know Australia is a land of prosperity and good fortune. We don't need one single day to convince ourselves because we see it every day. The poor ol Yanks are trying to avoid accepting that theirs is a land of once-were's; that other countries are overtaking them as power economies. Australia has never reached the lofty heights of the US so we've never had to deal with the downward slide.
So as to your theme, which is odd a week after the Day. Why do you suggest that we will "guzzle" VB all day? Is there something wrong with having a couple of VB's rather than a couple of Moet's? Many people will go out to dinner and enjoy a beer rather than the Sauv Blanc but does that make them any less credible? Please do not ask me to spend a nice day off contemplating gay rights and other such topics. Anyone who needs to spend Australia Day in search of a bit of deep and meaningfull is not a real Aussie. Its a day off, or if the timings good, its a long weekend! We've got 365 days to appreciate what a great country we live in and we don't need to sit in Times Square or Trafalgar Square to know that.
by john5 (score: 2|164) 4149 days ago
by Vanessa de Largie (score: 3), 4149 days ago
Thanks for taking the time to read my article John5. The article was written and published before australia day actually, thee 22nd of Jan. As writers we provoke and suggest. Thats what I did. The truer meaning of my article, was because I read a quote 'you change the world by starting with yourself' Of course I mentioned the arts, if you have a look, Im an actor/writer/voiceover artist. Of course, theres so many other areas that should be funded! Hope you enjoyed your VB, I had a merlot! :-)