October is about food! Enjoy these family friendly street food festivals celebrating the culinary diversity in Melbourne.
1. Malaysian Festival Sunday October 9th, from 9am to 4pm, feast on Asian street food at the Malaysian Festival at the Queen Victoria Market. Join in on games and activities for kids, competitions for all ages, and watch cultural performances, throughout the day.
2.The Swiss Festival
Sunday October 9th head to Queensbridge Square to indulge in Swiss cheese, chocolates, bratwursts and beer, and to experience Swiss entertainment (including yodelling, folk dance and music), and learn of myths, legends and traditions. The festival runs from 11am til 5pm; check out the full program of events at www.swissfestival.com.au.
3. Spring Fling Street Festival Errol and Victoria Streets come alive with pop-up markets, street food, beer gardens, entertainment, and free activities on Sunday October 16th from 10am to 6pm. Spring Fling is in it's 39th year! Join over 15,000 people for this lively community building event. View the events at www.springflingstreetfestival.org.au.
4. Victorian Festival of Diwali On Saturday October 22nd celebrate the Victorian Festival of Diwali at Federation Square, from noon until 10pm. A vibrant program including cinema, classical, folk and Bollywood dancing, dance and craft workshops, henna painting, Rangoli art, exhibitions,delectable Indian cuisines, and a fireworks display on the Yarra. Find out more at www.celebrateindia.org.au.
5. Italian Festa Sunday October 23rd enjoy a free day of activities celebrating food, art, music and culture of Italy at the Carlton Italian Festa, from 11am to 9pm, at Piazza Italia, Lygon Street Carlton. A family event with entertainment all day on the main stage, as well as sporting activities, vehicle displays, luscious Italian food and stylish drinks. Plan your day at www.carltonitalianfesta.org.au.
6. Global Village Multicultural Festival From Friday October 21st through to Sunday 23rd, from 10am to 11pm daily, head to Docklands Park to enjoy art, music, live folk dance from around the world and indigenous dance at the Global Village Multicultural Festival. Take the kis along to watch films and puppet shows, and enjoy street food fare from the diversey of cultures represented in Melbourne during this 3 day festival. Find out more at www.globalvillagefestival.org.au.