Freelance writer and blogger from Sydney (ex-Melbourne). Avid foodie and traveller. Loves dogs.
Published November 30th 2017
Planning a last minute Christmas party? We've got you sorted
Can you believe there's only a few weeks until Christmas? Wow, it's hard to believe that the year has gone so far. If you've been asked to plan your team Christmas party but haven't gotten around to doing it, don't despair – you're definitely not the only one! Thankfully, there are many restaurants around Melbourne who will be more than happy to accommodate last-minute Christmas bookings and we've picked five of our favourites, from a one-hatted pub restaurant serving beautiful regional Italian cuisine to a cheerful Glenferrie Road café dishing the prettiest hotcakes you'll ever see.
1. Shukah: Sezar in the CBD may have sparked Melbourne's love affair for Armenian cuisine but it is her younger sister Shukah who continues to hold the torch for the young and fashionable crowd. Get the night started with an Armenian-inspired cocktail (perhaps a sumac G&T or a Pomericano) before tucking your fork into a braised lamb shoulder with pomegranate and chickpeas or succulent barbeque short ribs with roasted sweet corn and farro. Large groups are recommended to order the 'Let Us Feed You' banquet ($58 per person). Address: 104 Chapel Street, Windsor
2. Third Chapter Eltham: If work is closer to home – and by home, you mean Melbourne's northeast – then this popular Eltham eatery is your best bet. Conveniently located near the train station, this all-day diner is open for breakfast through to late night nibbles. The cuisine is modern Australian with a few Portuguese twists such as the beef skewers playing tribute to the owners' Portuguese heritage. With enough room for up to 200 patrons and a dedicated kids menu, Third Chapter is an excellent choice for larger Christmas parties and events where invitation state that 'kids are welcome.' Address: 26 Commercial Place, Eltham 3095 Phone: (03) 9439 9514 Website: www.thirdchapter.com.au Last day of trading before Christmas: December 24
3. Secret Kitchen: Whether your team votes for a boozy yum cha celebrations or an exquisite dinner affair complemented with premium wines, Secret Kitchen will have you covered. The Chinatown branch kicks off its Christmas party season from the first week of December, bursting to the brim with merry office workers, so your best bet is to book early to avoid missing out. Private function areas are also available upon enquiry. Address: 222 Exhibition Street, Melbourne CBD 3000
Phone: (03) 9988 7778
Last day of trading before Christmas: Open all throughout Christmas and New Years period
4. The Grand Richmond: Whether you opt to book a fancy function room upstairs or go a la carte in the elegant dining room, The Grand will make sure your Christmas function is one to remember. Work your way through a selection of beautifully presented regional Italian dishes such as chargrilled quail with sweet potatoes, caramelised witlof and blood orange and The Grand's signature gnocchi with brown butter sage. And if you're keen to continue partying on, The Grand's Public Bar will welcome you with open arms (and live music if your Christmas party falls on a weekend).
Address: 333 Burnley Street, Richmond 3121
Phone: (03) 9429 2530
Last day of trading before Christmas: December 22
5. Le Clec: If your Christmas celebration is set to be a broad daylight affair, then Le Clec is your answer to a relaxing and low-key affair. Glenferrie Road can often be busy and chaotic but step into this much-loved restaurant and café where warm hospitality and a peaceful atmosphere beckons. Lunch may include the popular sweetcorn okonomiyaki or perhaps the five-spice dusted duck with beetroot pannacotta, finished with a glass of wine or coffee from the award-winning ONA Coffee Roasters. Got a big group? We highly recommend booking the courtyard.
Address: 727 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn 3122
Phone: (03) 9818 8969
Last day of trading before Christmas: December 23