Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
list an event      1 million Australian readers every month      facebook

McElligott's Quarry Reserve

Home > Adelaide > Free | Kids | Picnic Spots | Playgrounds | Views
by Paula McManus (subscribe)
Photography obsessed writer and urban explorer. Lover of nature, art and long weekends. Adelaide, South Australia. https://www.facebook.com/paula.mcmanus1
Published June 23rd 2013
a quarry, reclaimed and rehabilitated
Just up the road from the historic home at Carrick Hill in Adelaide's most beautiful suburb of Springfield is a park with an interesting history.

McElligott's Quarry Reserve (©paula mcmanus)
McElligott's Quarry Reserve


The area now known as McElligott's Quarry has had other names in the past. It has previously been known as the Brownhill Creek Quarry and, until very recently, was the Fullarton Dump. During the 1980's Mitcham Council bought the site, reclaimed the land and the name changed again, this time to its current name of McElligott's Quarry Reserve. It's now a lovely grassed park and picnic area with magnificent views to the city.

Panoramic views to the city (©paula mcmanus)
McElligott's Quarry Reserve


The park is named after the McElligotts - a family who lived in Mitcham during the late 1800's. They ran the quarry operations from 1899 to 1934. The McElligotts were not the only family to own and use the quarry. Charles Anderson ran the quarry during the 1850's. Quarrying was, at the time, Mitcham's biggest industry.

Being the site of a quartzite quarry, there is a short geological trail which provides some interesting information on the rock formations and features along the quarry face.

part of the geological walking trail (©paula mcmanus)
McElligott's Quarry Reserve


The park offers a barbecue, picnic tables, swings and lots of room to throw a ball or two. But, unfortunately, there are no toilets in the area at all. There are none within a several minute car ride, which I think is a real shame and huge oversight by the council.

There's also a walking trail, the "McElligott's Quarry and Brownhill Summit Walk", a total walking distance of 4.5km, with an estimated walking time of 1 hour and 25 minutes.

Part of the walking trail (©paula mcmanus)
McElligott's Quarry Reserve


Entrance to McElligott's Quarry is free and the carpark is open daily from 7am to 8pm every day. The gates to the park are closed outside of these hours .


Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  43
Share: email  facebook  twitter
Why? a dump no more
When: gates open everyday 7am to 8pm
Where: McElligott's Quarry Reserve, Springfield
Cost: Free!
Your Comment
Those orange rocks are breath taking.
by Bryony Harrison (score: 4|12481) 2341 days ago
Fantastic pictures, Paula!
by Katy Holliday (score: 3|1133) 2341 days ago
More Adelaide articles
Articles from other cities
Featured
Foodi Photoh Classie
Top Events
Popular Articles
Categories
Lists
Questions