Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
list an event      1 million Australian readers every month      facebook

Mayors Reading Challenge

Home > Melbourne > Books and Writing | Community Events | Family | Fun for Children | Fun Things To Do
by Philippa Chalkitis (subscribe)
Social Media Manager with Carmel at Sorrento. Always looking for travel adventures in VIC - Visit my social pages @carmelatsorrento or
Event: -
Challenge Accepted
We have a divided household of booklovers, 75% of us are book worms and love the escape that reading gives us. The remaining 25% of our household prefer motorsport as an escape. Most nights, bedtime reading for the kids is a standard routine, we read a favourite book from our collection and a newly borrowed book from the library.

Recently I was given two children's books written by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara. The books are from a collection of "little people, big dreams' series. Each title focuses on influential people throughout history and help us discover more about their lives and how they achieved incredible things with the common theme of a child with a dream.

My two most favourite influential ladies in the entertainment industry are Dolly Parton and Audrey Hepburn so you could imagine my delight when my number one child took it upon herself to find a cosy corner and immerse herself in the beautiful books with the stunning illustrations.

Reading about Dolly in the Sun

Tomorrow I will be visiting a local supplier Lemonade Factory in Sorrento to add Amelia Earhart to the collection.

Reading, fun for kids, challenge accepted
Books by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara

Having children who are passionate readers or even observers of books makes us as parents extremely proud. Regular reading improves literacy skills and they are more likely to learn further literacy skills a lot easier when they start school.

Each year Frankston City Council announce a Mayors Reading Challenge to children under 5 and their families. The challenge is to support early literacy development, by encouraging parents and carers to regularly read with their children and to make it a fun experience. This year the theme is "Reading is my secret power".

Reading challenges are everywhere, driving in the car sing songs, play I spy with colours 'g' is for green, point out signs, look for numbers and letters. In restaurants look at the menu together and find letters or familiar words. Affirmation cards are another option and a gentle way to talk to each other about self-esteem.

Reading, fun for kids, challenge accepted
I Am Me Affirmation Cards

The reading challenge officially starts on 31st July 2019 to tie in with the Children's Book Council of Australia Book of the Year celebration.

To receive a certificate from the Mayor and a reading rewards pack, register at any Frankston City Libraries branch. You will also receive prizes for every 20th reading experience.
Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  13
Share: email  facebook  twitter
Why? Reading Challenge
When: August
Phone: 03 9784 1020
Where: Frankston City Libraries
Cost: Free
Your Comment
by Jen on 28/07/2020
Top Events
Popular Articles