So you think you need to be born of parents who look like Angelina and Brad in order to be gorgeous? Maybe you think you need to lose 20 kilos, get breast implants, build a muscley bod, and fill your face with all sorts of chemicals in order to get a second glance from people you fancy? Wrong, wrong, wrong. Looking hot is only partly attributable to factors such as genetics or how much you weigh. There's plenty you can do to up your sexy score, and most of them are free and instant.
Exude sex appeal with just one single look. Image from Wikimedia Commons.
1. Fix Your Posture You probably heard from schoolteachers a thousand times while growing up – stand up straight. Maybe you thought only geeks would follow advice like that. Sure, it seemed like the guys who were sloppily hunched in an alleyway rolling cigarettes were the sexy ones. But the truth is, this look isn't going to get you very far.
Stand or sit up straight. Tuck your tailbone a little, elongate your spine, lift your head, and gently pull the chin back. Poor posture can give the impression that you're shorter, fatter, and have a much bigger pot-belly than you really do. And that's not sexy.
2. Slow Down
This is powerful. Slow down your movements and your speech. Reduce the speed of everything – from the way you walk down the corridor to filling your water bottle – by 10 to 20 per cent. Erratic and fast movers may be the go-to people to get things done but if truth be told, they're not particularly sexy. They come across as more stressful to be around, if anything.
3. Avoid the Big No-Nos The basic rule of thumb is: anything contrived or fake is deeply unsexy. For the girls – forget about revealing too much cleavage – it can look desperate. Also beware of orange fake-tanned skin, obvious-looking hair extensions or fake eyelashes, ill-fitting pants, and obviously cheap-looking jewellery. For guys, ditch the muscle tops, gelled hair, strangely-shaped or too much facial hair, and trousers that finish too high on the ankles.
4. Wear Red Yep, it really works. Study after study has proved that men find women more sexually desirable when they wear red. Women who wear red are more likely to get asked out on dates. It works for the guys too, women just love to see a man in red. It's all about our animal instincts, you see. Red triggers a primal response of sexuality and fertility.
Use the colour red for instant sex appeal. Image from Wikimedia Commons.
5. Stand Up Staying on your feet, particularly at parties, is a very smart move. People who stand up get more attention – first of all they take up more physical space in the room, but secondly, we have associations with people who are "higher up". You're going to be hidden if you sit in the corner: expect little or no attention, kids.
6. Accessorise Just look to the Ancient Egyptians – they knew that by adorning themselves with jewels, they were showing others their worth and status. Silver and natural fibres are good because they look stylish without being expensive. Or, show how confident you are by wearing something unusual. Wear a hat, a feather in your hair or some other unique piece. The trick here is to make sure this "talking point" isn't too, well, ugly. Get advice from a friend you trust.
7. Use Your Eyes Eyes really are your sexiest body part. The techniques here are endless – look through your lashes with a playful smile. Give a mischievous glance. Practice in the mirror and see how many thoughts and expressions you can communicate.
And a note here – we've all read magazine articles that emphasis eye contact. True, but please don't be the weirdo who stares out chicks all night.
8. Move More Sexily
For both men and women, moving more sexily involves being more fluid and relaxed. It's about throwing out stiff or awkward gestures and being more comfortable in your body.
If you want to attract men, moving in a more feminine way is important because you're trying to create a "polarity" – an opposite that will catch his eye. Emphasise your curves, your hips and chest, but also of the curve of your ankle, your calf, the gentle shape of your wrist.
To attract women, it pays to move in more strong and deliberate ways, while still maintaining that natural and fluid energy.
An oldie but a goodie – flash your smile, crocodile. Check out movies and watch lead actors and actresses smile – Pierce Brosnan and Angelina Jolie are masters. Purse your lips – don't pucker. A downward tilt of the chin, a slightly raised brow, and a gentle tilt of the head all work too. Failing that, smiling naturally is always a winner. Look like you're having fun, and you'll have 'em beating down your door.