Simple, easy and effective stress management course
Less than a year ago, I migrated to Sydney, married my long-time sweetheart, moved to a new place, and got a new job. It seemed like a perfect start to a new chapter in life, right? But with so much going on at the same time, I was stressed out while trying to adapt to a new culture and lifestyle, plan a wedding, move house, organise the home, and find a job. As a result, I started to experience mental exhaustion, irregular heartbeat, constant sighing and agitation. My mind was often clouded by negative thoughts and endless worries instead of focusing on the positives.
Designed by Zoë B, a life coach and author, the Less Stress online course is surprisingly easy to follow and understand. The content is clearly written and packed with practical examples which anyone can relate well in life. I am glad that the course has helped me to identify the root cause of my 'perceived' stress and thought me ways to manage it effectively. I found the step-by-step less stress model to be extremely useful in the process of controlling the stress level in any situation. There are also several interesting exercises included as part of the course. I would strongly recommend to spend some time working through the exercises to get the most out of the course.
Although it is a self-paced course, it is designed to be completed in 2-weeks period with minimally 5 minutes each day through reading the e-book or alternatively, listening to the full audio program. Depending on the level of commitment, the duration may vary across different individuals. I had taken slightly more than 2 weeks to complete the entire course as I decided to reread certain chapters twice to fully digest the content. Since the commencement of the course, I had already noticed a positive difference in my reaction towards stress, be it mentally or physiologically. My heartbeat has gradually returned to normal rate and I'm feeling more at ease, calm and happier than before. The result has been wonderful and I couldn't thank Zoë more for designing the course to help people like me. I'm indeed very grateful for this valuable opportunity.
I've also had the chance to correspond with Zoe B, the author of the course who has been kind enough to respond to a brief interview:
1. What is your thought about stress in our society today? Unfortunately stress is very commonplace in society today (especially in the Western world). In-fact, it seems most people encounter stress on a daily basis and this is not natural or healthy! While the stress response can be useful in life or death situations where we need to be alert, it's actually very dangerous to trigger this response on a regular basis. One of the saddest things I've seen in corporate business is that stress is viewed as a 'badge of honour' and employees are actively encouraged to be stressed and over-worked to 'prove' their worth.
2. What is the most common cause of stress among your clients? It really varies but generally there are three areas for concern: 1) work / career 2) intimate relationships 3) health. I also find that things like fear and doubt are key issues as people worry that they are not good enough. It's sad, but most people don't believe in themselves and their own abilities and this can lead to negative thinking and worrying about the future.
3. Does stress affect women more than men, or people of a certain age-group? I see that it often peaks during the 30's, and 40's. This is when people start to settle down and get serious about their careers and finding a long term partner. This is also often a common period for reflection upon how people have lived their lives to date and what they might like to change. It's pretty even between men and women although I find men tend to talk about it less with their friends and families; they end up confessing all to me as a Life Coach because they feel safe.
4. What inspired you to create the less stress course? Coming from a background in Corporate Advertising (I co-founded my own boutique marketing agency in 2008), I spent many years dealing with the stress! I literally reached a point where I made a conscious decision not to live a life full of stress anymore. So I spent many years training myself to deal with stress and also became a qualified life coach and Neuro Linguistic Programming Practitioner. The LESS STRESS course is a combination of my own personal techniques and everything that I've learned when coaching clients through stressful situations. I'm now on a mission to help others lower their stress levels because I passionately believe that life should be a stress-free experience (most of the time!).
5. How can people benefit from less stress course? I designed the LESS STRESS course so that absolutely anyone can lower their stress levels! It's a short course that teaches you about your own personal stress triggers as-well as giving you a proven step by step model to stop stress in it's tracks. I completely understand that people are very short on time too, so you only need to spend 5 minutes per day to start seeing results from this course. I'm proud to say that the course also has a 100% success rate – every single person who has tried it has lowered their stress levels.