Aspiring writer (particularly in film & music). Pop culture enthusiast.
Published November 22nd 2011
This recipe is a quick and easy way to make a delicious soup providing you with plenty of protein and nutrients from the lentils and quinoa.
Ingredients (Serves 4) 1. Can of lentils 2. Tin of sliced mushrooms 3. 1 large carrot 4. 1 stick of celery 5. Tin of tomatoes (depending on taste and preference you may want to add another tin) 6. 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube 7. 1/2 cup of quinoa 8. 1 brown onion 9. Salt and pepper to taste. 10. Chives (optional)
Method 1. Soak the quinoa in water in a small bowl or saucepan.
2. Cut up your onion, celery and carrots and heat on the stove in a saucepan with a little bit of oil.
3. When your vegetables are sautéed, add your stock cube and 3 cups of water. If you're using fresh lentils add them now but if you are opting for a can of already cooked lentils then only add your quinoa for now. Rinse the quinoa being you add it.
4. Bring to the boil and then cover with the lid and let it simmer for 15 -20 minutes until the quinoa looks fluffy.
5. Once it's been simmering you'll notice it'll probably need more water. Now is the time to add it another with your tomatoes, cooked lentils and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Let the soup cook on medium to low heat for another half an hour, or until everything is heated through and tastes delicious.
6. Serve with freshly cut chives for more flavour and decoration. Enjoy.