Between August and September, Brazil will be the first South American country to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games and LEGO could not be left out. They prepared an amazing tribute to the host city, Rio de Janeiro, as the legitimate owner of the Olympic Movement during the Games.
Nearly 1-meter-high, about 20 m², weighing more than one and a half tons and made up of 947 thousand pieces, the company assembled its biggest construction ever in Latin America: a model of Rio de Janeiro made entirely of LEGO, which represents 25* landmarks of the host city.
The landmarks were chosen together with the City Hall of Rio de Janeiro, through the Municipal Olympic Company (Empresa Olímpica Municipal, EOM).
More than 50 people were needed for the project, led by the Master Builders Dan Steininger, Chris Steininger and Paul Chrzan. The trio has more than 50 years of experience with LEGO and this will be the first time they come to Brazil.
They say the model's innovation is in the artistic perspective, which was another major challenge in the representation of the city's different icons.
The model will be on display at Porto Maravilha, in the Olympic Boulevard [Boulevard Olímpico] - Live Site for the Olympic and Paralympic Games - from August 5th to August 21st* - and it will be open for visitors.
After conclusion of the Olympics, the model will be donated by the LEGO Group to the Municipal Secretary of Culture of Rio de Janeiro, that will forward it to the "Museu da Cidade".
The *25 icons represented in LEGO's model of the city of Rio de Janeiro:
1. Christ the Redeemer [Cristo Redentor] 2. Sugarloaf [Pão de Açúcar] 3. Copacabana Palace
4. Copacabana Boardwalk [Calçadão de Copacabana]
6. Ipanema Boardwalk [Calçadão de Ipanema]
7. Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon [Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas]
8. Botanical Gardens [Jardim Botânico]
9. Tijuca Forest [Floresta da Tijuca]
10. Dois Irmãos Mountain [Morro Dois Irmãos]
11. Gávea Rock [Pedra da Gávea]
12. Rio Olympic Park [Parque Olímpico do Rio]
13. Radical Park [Parque Radical]
14. Madureira Park [Parque Madureira]
15. Nilton Santos Olympic Stadium [Estádio Olímpico Nilton Santos] (popularly known as Engenhão)
16. Penha Church [Igreja da Penha]
17. Bus Rapid Transit [Avenida Brasil/BRT]
18. Maracanã Stadium [Estádio do Maracanã]
19. Sambódromo da Marquês de Sapucaí
20. Mauá Square [Praça Mauá]
21. Lapa Arches [Arcos da Lapa]
22. VLT [Veículo leve sobre trilhos (Light Rail)]
23. Flamengo Embankment [Aterro do Flamengo]
24. Dona Marta Community [Comunidade Dona Marta]
25. Metropolitan Cathedral [Catedral Metropolitana]
Place: Olympic Boulevard – Avenida Alfred Agache, s/n [sem número (no number)]- Praça do Povo – Centro – RJ [Rio de Janeiro]
Date: 08/05 to 08/21/2016 (Olympic Games) *Dates may change without notice.
Address: Port Region of Rio de Janeiro – Porto Maravilha
Time: daily, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., site closure at 10 p.m.
Registration: there will be no need early registration. The visitors' entrance will be made in order of arrival and according to the capacity of the site.
The visitation of the model will run for 15 minutes for each group of 70 participants and will be open to the public of all ages, but children and young people under 14 years old must be accompanied by a responsible adult. It may be required an identity document presentation with photo for proof the age.