Located in the grand, saloon-esque building that well-renowned burlesque strip club, The Velvet Cigar, used to be located in, perhaps what makes Lefty's the fun and thriving gift to Brisbane that it is, is because (in no order of particular importance):
1. It's a venue that caters for a broad spectrum of ages. Younger folk comfortable rub shoulders with older folk, and it's awesome.
2. It hosts local live music, 5 nights a week. Check out their Facebook page for lineup particulars.
3. You can dance to said live music, and I mean, REALLY dance (leave that awkward body-bop for The Met, k?).
4. There is no cover charge, i.e., see awesome bands fo' free, yo.
5. Their whiskey and beer offering will impress your pants off. And quite literally, too, if you ingest enough.
6. There's a retro popcorn machine at the main bar that pops you kernels of - get this - free popcorn!
7. They do whiskey apples, which is, simply, whisky plus juiced up fresh apples put together. It is pretty amazing (think of all the apple vitamins!), and is only $8 a hit.
8. And it doesn't have to be a whiskey apple, either. You can mix things up, like I did: ask for a spiced rum apple, for $9. (Yeah, it tastes as splendid as it sounds.)
9. The best way to describe their menu is that it's kinda like an American diner slash soul food fusion of drool-worthy wonder. Expect corn dogs, Po' boys, burgers, fries and so much more.
10. It is a taxidermy paradise, if there is such a thing. There are zebra rugs, moose heads, giant bears and other stuffed delights that will have your vego friends weeping.
11. Lefty's is lit by soft lamps and intricate chandeliers, so, if you're having an ugly day, there's no need to hide: you can still comfortably play at Lefty's.
12. You know how you get those overtly demanding late night munchies and your only options seem to be 7Eleven and McDonald's? Welp, there is no longer any need to resort to such shoddy imitation food: Lefty's kitchen is open right up until closing - that is, 3:00am.
13. Lefty's lively and grandeur ambience is crowned by high ceilings. (I have a thing for high ceilings.)
Lefty's is open Wednesday through to Sunday, from 5pm to 3am.
Facebook is the place to see their lineup, as well as learn of any other updates and specials.