Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Everywhere > Comments > Lebanese Lemonade Recipe
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
kfvrba
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
Actually, I had originally included a recipe for lemonade in the original article, but decided finally not to include it.

Here goes for you:

HOMEMADE LEMONADE
7-8 lemons – preferably the thin skinned ‘lemonade’ variety, as these are the oiliest and best to work with

¾ -1 cup of white sugar – but again, the Lebanese actually drink their lemonade less sweet, so according to taste, probably ½ - ¾ cup of white sugar is fine

NOW, you can either boil up the sugar with 6-8 cups of water – depending on the size of jug you will be using, or how many people you will be serving – on a low to medium heat in a saucepan, until the sugar has dissolved OR you can add just boiled water to the sugar in a jug and stir it until the sugar’s dissolved

When the sugar mixture is dissolved, leave it to cool sufficiently to place the jug in the fridge, meanwhile juicing your lemons

Add the lemon juice, about 1/3 at a time, so you can add it to taste – raising or lowering and therefore adjusting the acidity to your taste

I don’t add ice to the jug, but just put it back into the fridge to cool, until ready to serve. I do add ice to the glasses when I’m serving up though, to which I then add the rose water (‘ Al – Rabih’ is the one I’ve got at the moment and you should be able to get it or another from either a gourmet importer or a Lebanese baker – check your yellow pages directory for this)

If you do want a tangier lemonade, do add the skins of the lemons after you’ve juiced them, to the lemonade mix, as the oils from the lemon skins will still impart their citrus oils BUT TAKE THEM OUT AFTER A WHILE OR THE LEMONADE WILL GET REALLY BITTER FROM THE PITH!

Hope this helps to give you an idea of how to put the Lebanese Lemonade together, from scratch… just another idea, as odd as it sounds, if you can’t get rosewater for any reason – the Indians actually add salt and black pepper to their lemonade and this really brings out the sweetness of the lemons – believe it or not. c&c
by curiouser&curiouser (score: 2|526) 3924 days ago