Confusingly, there is no such waterway called Langhorne's Creek. The proudly rendered sign on the spacious Town Hall owes more to a historical game of names and counter names. Legend has it that in 1840, the fledgeling colony of Adelaide on the Torrens River was suffering a food crisis. Alfred Langhorne drove a mob of cattle from NSW, across the Murray River at Wellington and improved their condition on the grasslands surrounding the waterway originally named the Hindmarsh River after the first Governor, but due to the confusion with the river at Encounter Bay, renamed after a distinguished British Naval officer James Bremer.
The Bremer River is the waterway referred to as Langhorne's Creek, now Langhorne Creek on the official place names index. It is also known to some by its indigenous moniker, Meechi.
The town, however, will always be known as Langhorne Creek, fitting for an early hero of the colony, who after delivering his herd through the hills to Adelaide, disappeared back to NSW never to be heard of again. Historical details are sketchy.
Known widely as a best-kept secret of Australian Viticulture, Langhorne Creek is one of Australia's oldest and most significant wine regions. It also has many excellent examples of early regional limestone architecture, many key buildings still in good repair.
The broad floodplain in the lee of the Hills descending to Lake Alexandrina is cut by the local Bremer and Angas Rivers overseen by thousands of stately River Red Gums.
Langhorne Creek's Bridge Hotel opened in 1850 this hotel business would have been most lucrative during the gold rush days of Australia's early history, taking advantage of the thousands of people on their way to the gold fields. The Bridge Hotel today has a lovely front garden, under a shady pine, excellent meals and fantastic atmosphere.
The Oddfellows Hall, built in 1870 was used for religious services, political meetings, concerts and other gatherings as well as doctors rooms. It is now privately owned. The Oddfellows picnic started in 1866 and continued until 1940. Each picnic event culminated with a dance at the Oddfellows Hall. In the 1890s cinematographs (were shown in this building, as were silent movies from 1929 to 1934. The "temporary" structure on the front is an excellent example of an early projectionist's circumstance.
Oddfellows Institute - an example of an early cinematograph structure
Langhorne Creek is still a great place for a picnic, with many cellar doors offering food and shady places to eat. Lake Breeze wines hold the modern picnic equivalent, their annual Handpicked Music festival, this coming weekend.
The Langhorne Creek General Store opened in 1859. The building has served as the General Store since.
Currently being lovingly restored by the community is the original schoolhouse. Built in 1876 the Primary School operated until the end of the 1950s when it moved across the road. The original school masters house adjoins the Old School building grounds and is now a private residence.
This town has been producing some of the best red wine in Aust.for many many years and it is only in recent years that the town has become better known to lovers of wine.A nice round trip is through Langhorne Creek,Milang and Strathalbyn....these 3 towns all being not far away from each other.Good to see it getting a well deserved plug on this site.
We have camped at Frank Potts Reserve. Very comfortable and you look out over the vineyards. Its a small camp area but set amongst the bushes. Very relaxing. Even though it is set on a road there isnt much traffic.