Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Perth > Comments > Kyilla Community Farmers' Market
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
nsxzot
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
I live in the area. Years ago when this first opened we loved it. Real growers taking their seasonal stuff you could pick and bag yourself (ie if there's 1 or 2 people living in the house you don't have to take a whole bag of something you don't need). Now most produce is all pre-bagged, it looks like it's been picked up from Canning Vale markets the days (or week before in the case of the organic guy). It's a very social market if you want to go for breakfast, juice, coffee and meet your friends and neighbours and take the kids and the dog. If you want to do food shopping you'll end up going somewhere else for that.

What I can't understand about most Perth markets is that people want to buy grower direct - fresher produce and grower gets more than if selling at wholesale markets. But this is not the case. Produce is clearly not always fresh, is above supermarket prices (for the same stuff) and is pre-packed.
by lee (score: 0|4) 1968 days ago
by jacki (score: 0), 1965 days ago
I have to agree Lee. Great for social but the prices of fresh produce is certainly above supermarket prices (on quite a lot of what is sold), as a mum of a growing family I have to make my dollars stretch and whilst wanting to support local business this isn't always possible. We always make it a point to donate our egg cartons though.