Gone are the days when pepper spray was just what you needed to make you feel safe. In fact, I don't know one person who actually feels safe with a pepper spray bottle. When the attacker strikes, you will have to take the bottle out of your purse or pocket, make sure you hold the orifice towards the attacker and press hard enough for the pepper spray to come out. In those few seconds that it takes you to get the pepper spray to work, you could be lying on the floor, with a few ribs broken and your wallet stolen. Or maybe even worse.
That's why Krav Maga classes are a fun and empowering way to learn how to defend yourself. In a big city like New York, feeling safe on the streets is important. Krav Maga is a self-defense system that is taught to regular and special forces in Israel. Now it is made available to everyone, including women and kids, due to increasing demand.
Here are three Krav Maga studios in New York City area, where you can take a class:
1. Krav Maga Academy – www.kravmagasolutions.com Pros:Your text goes here Located in Midtown: 26th St , between Broadway and 6th Avenue Offers a variety of classes: open mat which is open to all students, women's class, kids' class, Friday in jeans which means you can be dressed casually, sparring which is more advanced, and level 1 and level 2 and combat conditioning Owner is Matan Gavish: he is a cutie pie and a former Krav Maga officer for a special-ops unit in the Israeli Defense Forces in charge of training Krav Maga, Close Combat, and Counter Terrorism to hundreds of Special Ops soldiers
First class is free Cons:Your text goes here Cannot pay per class: you have to buy a membership and cheapest is $100/month for 12 month membership OR pay for at least 10 sessions, which is $250 total
First lesson free
• Private training is also available
• Owner Gabi Noah has a Master rank from the International Federation of Krav-Maga. Cons:Your text goes here
• Location: Broadway between 104th and 105th - not that easy to get to, unless you live in that area
• Classes available only on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
3. Krav Maga Crash Boot Camp – www.kravmagacrash.com Pros:Your text goes here
• Classes are varied: women's krav maga, kids' krav maga, classes for adults (beginners and advanced), and also private classes
• Classes held every day of the week
• Founder Daniel Elyashiv is a former Israeli Defense Force Soldier, expert in counter terrorism Cons:Your text goes here
• Location: Brooklyn - 60 West End Ave
• You have to fill out a registration form online in order to join a class
Krav Maga is a rising trend, and in today's world, it is a skill that sadly might need to be learned. The self-defense teachings of Krav Maga are simple, instinctual and practical. The scenarios given in the classes are real life scenarios that you might encounter. And one huge benefit of any self-defense class or martial arts practice, is that you gain confidence and poise. You know how to handle yourself, and the world. And that is huge.