Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Melbourne > Comments > Kite Festival 2022
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
jfznru
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
Love looking at kites. Takes me back to my childhood when I used to make kites and fly them on our nine acre market garden. Good clean fun, particularly when they actually flew.
by Neil Follett (score: 3|4788) 545 days ago
by Neil Follett (score: 3), 545 days ago
Thank you for your comments Jen. Dad originally had 30 acres but 21 were compulsorily acquired in 1946 to build Moorabbin Airport, so I had an airport over our back fence. That proved to be win for me in developing a lifetime interest in aircraft and learning to fly when I was twenty. I was flying kites before real aircraft.
by Jen (score: 3), 545 days ago
Sounds like a wonderful life Neil. Nine acres market garden - wow. My dad was a fanatic too, and he would take us all with him to fly kites. Thinking back it was really quite special. He was such a fanatic he used to make his own glass mixture to rub on the kite strings. Not as dangerous as it sounds .it was for kite battles as everyone would go neck to neck at the kite end n try n cut each other’s kites off. So there u go. I grew up with kites hah. Merry Christmas 🎄