by Chloe Doyle
Twenty-six year old girl living in Noosa, QLD. I am in love with nature, music, food and animals so you'll see a lot of that here 🌿 See @chloeoliviad on Instagram for more photos from where I've adventured. 🚐⛰
If you find yourself on a weekend away or holiday in Byron Bay, your trip wouldn't be complete until you've visited the beautiful Killen Falls
The beautiful Killen Falls
Being a mere thirty minute drive from the hub of Byron Bay, you will get to take on a mini road trip with expansively green country landscapes, all the while windy roads will line your way to your destination.
There are 3 direct routes to the falls from Byron Bay's Main Beach. The one described below is my favourite, probably the most scenic drive out of the bunch. See below (thank god for Google Maps!).
- Turn right off Bay Road, Byron Bay onto Middleton Street
- Continue straight onto Middleton through the roundabout
- Turn left in 300 metres onto Marvel Street
- Turn right in 200 metres onto Tennyson Street
- At the roundabout take the second exit onto Bangalow Road
- Continue onto Broken Head Road towards Ballina
- Take a right onto Midgen Flat Road
- In 6.7 kilometres, take a left onto Hinterland Way (towards Ballina)
- Turn right onto the Old Pacific Highway
- In 250 metres, turn right onto Brooklet Road
- Take a left onto Friday Hut Drive (be careful this one comes up quickly
- Then take a left onto Killen Falls Drive & you have reached your destination - Killen Falls Drive, Tintenbar NSW.
From the grassy car park it's a short walking distance down to the falls itself. It takes me about twenty minutes to hike to the base of Killen Falls, whilst still enjoying the lookout above the falls and the views on the walk.
It may be a dark photo, but if you can see the hollowed out cave shape into the natural amphitheatre that is Killen Falls
Killen Falls is a pretty awe-inspiring swimming oasis. With a "hollowed" out cave that acts as an amphitheatre when you're perched on top of it & crisp conditions if you're brave enough to fight the some called freezing (I call refreshing) water temperatures. Killen Falls is an awesome place to have a swim, exercise outdoors, have a picnic, bring the dog along for a dip or to simply go chase waterfalls & all their beauty.