Taking you in and around Brisbane (and sometimes beyond)
Published April 28th 2014
5 step plan to a new bedroom
Miss 7 recently declared she wanted a bedroom makeover. Her room is already beautiful, but perhaps more fashioned in a style Mum likes :) ... vintage, old fashioned prettiness.
After watching a Home Reno TV show Miss 7 declared a cost effective way to make over your bedroom:
1. Get creative. Start to think about the things you like / colours / themes etc. We decided on white and birds. With a touch of vintage left. With an aim to de-pink the room.
2. Move furniture. Draw a plan of your bedroom and play around with ways to give it a new look. You can draw a to-scale picture with cut outs that represent your furniture. This way you can see what will fit where before attempting to move it. She measured key items such as beds and wardrobes. We moved the bed and then shifted furniture around until we were happy with the layout. The result? A larger looking bedroom.
3. Get new sheets and or curtains. Adding some new textures or colours into your room can make a big difference. So far, we have added white sheets and white quilt (vintage - thank goodness). The pink curtains will go soon (am eyeing off some nice ones at Ikea for less than $30. They will need to have block out added to the back though).
We also bought a faux sheepskin rug - pure white - from Kmart for the sum of $19.
4. Move pictures and art work or add some ones of your own. You can frame paintings and drawings (either new ones or ones you have kept from when they were little). Grad a heap of frames from your local cheap or op shop. Have all the same colour but different shapes and sizes. We opted for white.
5. Create an inspiration board. Miss 7 has decided to cut out inspiration on what she likes (birds, dogs, horses) and what she wants to be when she grows up (artist, doctor etc). We are going to laminate these pictures and add them to her toy cupboard toy. You could also frame these or get creative and draw or paint.
So that's it Miss 7's 5 step plan to a fresh looking room.
Next up she is asking for white paint. As you can see by the gaps in the VJs this won't be a job for the faint hearted. Maybe next year.