I am a director, playwright, and theatre critic with a Masters in Writing for Performance. You can check out my my portfolio and musings at www.samsaradunston.blogspot.com.au
Published September 4th 2017
Get ahead of the trend this Spring
KEVIN.MURPHY's James Nicholson and Nathan Gorman were the Hair Directors for Myer's Spring Summer 17 Fashion Launch held in August. Since 2011, KEVIN.MURPHY has played a key role in directing the hair for Myer's season launches, dictating key beauty trends in the Australian market. Here they give us a step-by-step guide to the day and night look trending this Spring.
This year, Myer held two separate day and night events for fashion industry insiders. The ﬁrst event, held during the day, was at a beautiful private residence in Coogee, where high-end designers showcased their designs up-close and personal. The ﬁrst hair look for the day was about luxury and featured a more polished style to sit alongside the reﬁned designs. Inspired by the personal and intimate setting of the surrounds, hair took on a striking and genuine lustre. With a strong, deep part, hair was smoothed and moulded to the head above the cheek line, with a natural bounce at the ends creating a tight silhouette.
HOW TO GUIDE (DAY LOOK)
To achieve the hair look follow these steps outlined by James Nicholson: 1. Exfoliation of tresses is essential. Start to prep the hair by using a hero shampoo and conditioner duo to address speciﬁc hair needs. 2. Next, apply leave-in treatment to problem dry areas. The targeting technique allows hair to absorb the lipid proteins and repair where necessary. 3. Massage a volumiser into the roots to add natural volume. 4. Using a large roll brush do a classic smooth rolling blow dry, which will buff and polish the hair. Allow for a soft kick at the end of the hair - the use of a boar bristle brush will be key to locking in the style. 5. Layer in smoothing spray from the cheekbone line up to the roots and mould the hair and smooth so that there's no movement. Hair should be a narrow and tight silhouette.
6. Finish with a relaxer to accentuate the curl at the end of the hair and smooth again to tame any frizzy problem areas. 7. All styling products used should be seamless and invisible.
The second event was an uber cool gathering of fashion and beauty-savvy individuals from across the country. The Myer Spring Social 2017 highlighted beauty and fashion trends from the 60's to the 90's in three key acts. The looks from each decade transitioned and came to life against a fun and lively backdrop of dancers and DJs.
HOW TO GUIDE (NIGHT LOOK)
1. Prepare hair using leave-in treatment to problem areas. Use a treatment that is designed to repair damaged hair without adding weight.
2. Apply volumiser to roots, mid-lengths and ends of the hair where needed to provide lift and volume. This gives a great base to curl hair with.
3. Use a medium-sized curling tong to complete the signature KEVIN.MURPHY undone look, You can achieve this look by using a positive and negative curl.
4. To ﬁnish use a styling gel. Layer it in the hair and personalise as needed.