Owns 'FoodLit'. Highly qualified, established food & lifestyle writer, former restaurateur, founder professional writing business, Articul8. Long, diverse writing history, passion for food culture, the land & inspired food language.www.foodlit.com.au
I always knew she was great. A simple trip into town to see a show, walk the parks, meander along the Melbourne riverbank and grab a bite fills me with that 'it's great to be alive' kind of energy. We really do have it all at our fingertips - even if we forget it sometimes.
In honour of this great city, let's look after her as best we can with: 5 Neat Ways Ways to Keep Melbourne Clean
1) This One's a No Brainer - I hope. Bin it. I really didn't think people would litter any more - and am always horrified to see that they do. Did you know you can report anyone throwing litter from a vehicle and download a handy, easy-to-use app through the EPA?
2) Buy a Portable Ashtray if you're a smoker who's occasionally tempted to drop a butt (and, yes, I know it's a touchy subject). They're inexpensive and they seal well so don't make a mess.
3) Join a Clean Up Campaign, whether in the city, your neighbourhood or wider area. Collecting a group of family and friends to join you makes it a lot more fun - and a lot more productive.
4) It Starts at Home. In addition to disposing of your daily
The Smarter Way to Share Stuff
garbage correctly, you can recycle larger household items very easily these days. One of the best sites I've come across in a long time is OzRecycle. Oz Recycle helps reduce landfill by providing a great vehicle through which people can give away and receive items - for free - all over Australia. They've recycled anything from pianos and cars to dolls and dog kennels (but no dogs, cats, goldfish, birds or anything that's breathing for that matter). Too cool.
5) Buy Less Stuff. Everything we buy will need a final place to rest at some point - and keeps manufacturers manufacturing more and more stuff for us to buy, dispose of and so on. It's scary. Keeping it simple with fewer possessions also helps us feel lighter, better and clearer.
Good topic Julia. Picking up litter in your neighbourhood or on the beach when you go walking is a good idea too, even if you do get strange looks but don't forget to bring a plastic bag and antiseptic wipes.