I know my boys never liked going to the hairdresser when they were younger. They didn't like sitting still and were scared the hairdresser would accidentally cut their face or eyebrows. Eventually I got them out of this fear with these steps.
1. Warn in advance - Thinking you're going to get less of a tantrum if you surprise them with a haircut? You are wrong. Warn them a week in advance when the haircut is, what time and where you are going.
2. Search around - Find a hairdresser that suits your child. Some hairdressers might mainly cater to women, and might not know how to interact with children. Find a hairdresser that specializes in children's haircuts.
3. Distractions - Chat with your child while they get their haircut. Talk about school, an event coming up, or a friend who's coming over.
4. Let your child choose - Looking to spice up your children's hair? let them have a look at current hairstyles so they can have a look at what they want. Your little girl may want a fringe or your son may want a buzz cut. Letting them choose shows that you trust them and lets them be free in how they look.
5. Pep talks - Ask the hairdresser if they can explain to your child what they are going to do, how much they are cutting off and how experienced they are, and promise they aren't going to accidentally cut them. It works every time.
6. Reward system - Offer a reward once the haircut is finished if your child behaves and is calm. If they throw a tantrum, cry, scream, or abuse the hairdresser, then take away the reward.
7. Praise - Praise your child throughout the haircut and afterwards. It will make them feel good about themselves and continue the behaviour at the next visit.
My sons disliked having their hair cut until I met a friendly barber who talked to them directly and asked them how they wanted their hair styled and if they wanted a shave. My sons were amazed that when they said, "cut that bit there" or "make that bit longer", the barber did just that. Soon he was guiding them to more sensible instructions and my sons had the most stylish hair of all.
No more problems.