I love making this gorgeous strawberry Jam Swiss Roll (some refer to it as roulade), the sponge is light and soft, the combination of jam with fresh whipped cream topped with toasted almond flakes gives it a nice nutty crunch and it is just delicious. It is definitely a family favourite and it takes only minutes to make.
Ingredients Sponge Cake 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
1/2 cup self raising flour 3 tablespoon corn flour 1/2 cup caster sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Filling 300mls thickened cream 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon caster sugar
and 1 cup of your choice of jam (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry or mixed berry)
Method Sponge Cake
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Spray biscuit baking tray, then line with baking paper.
Tip: to get nice corner folds, cut a 3cm line into the corners of the baking paper.
6. To the egg yolks mixture, shift self raising flour and corn flour. Gently fold with a spatula until combined, then add the egg whites into the batter and fold until combined.
Shifted flour and egg whites to make the batter
7. Pour the batter into the lined baking tray, with a spatula help smooth it across the whole surface of the tray, then lift the tray slightly above the bench and let it drop flat back down onto the bench to even out the mixture. Bake in the oven for approximately 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. When lightly pressed the sponge should spring back.
8. Remove from the oven, cover the cake with a sheet of baking paper and tea towel then flip the sponge upside down. Gently, remove the baking paper off the base of the sponge and place cling wrap over the top of the sponge to keep it from drying out, set aside to cool.
Sponge cake covered with a tea towel and flipped
For the jam filling, spoon out half a cup of jam from the jar into a small bowl, then with a spoon whisk it until it softens. In a mixing bowl, empty the cream bottle, add sugar and vanilla extract then beat until thick consistency.
Flip the sponge so the base is back at the bottom. Spread the jam across the whole surface of the cake. Then spread a thin layer of cream on top of the jam.
To roll the sponge, gently lift one side of the sponge off the baking paper and start to roll, then pick up the end of the baking paper and tug it along until the sponge is fully rolled out. Cover the whole cake with cream and decorate with roasted almond flakes.
For roasted almond flakes, put flakes under the grill until lightly browned.