I'm a freelance writer living in Australia. I like to write about reviews and recommendations. If you have something you would like me to review, feel free to contact me.
Published July 3rd 2017
Keep your little ones busy this school holiday
Finally, it's school holiday! Time for kids to take time off their term routine, experience new things and just enjoy being kids. There are so many other activities out there for kids to do where they can learn something new and have fun at the same time. Below is a list of educational holiday activities for kids to make their holiday even more awesome and build some new skills.
Kids can express their creativity through sculpture. In this three-hour workshop, kids from 5-8 years or 8-12 years will learn how to use clay to build a cute Pokemon or Super Heroes character (Wonder Woman, Captain America). Cost: $55. Location: Burwood. Contact: Kidz Artworx
2. Drama Class
Designed for grades 3-6, this five-day workshop will develop kids' performance skills in voice and movement, improvisation, and acting. Cost: $550. Location: Chatswood. Contact: National Institute of Dramatic Art
3. Mini Japanese Class Ideal for complete beginners who are curious about the Japanese language, in this mini class kids get to enjoy fun, interactive Japanese lessons online, video chatting with their teacher through Zoom, practice conversational skills, and gain heaps of cultural knowledge. Mini Mandarin class is also available. Cost: $110/$159. Location: All suburbs. Contact: Asian Language School
4. Beginner Dance Class In this two-day workshop, learn a variety of different dance styles for boys and girls age 5-18 under the direction of professional teachers and choreographers. No dance experience required. Cost: $165. Location: The Rocks. Contact: Sydney Dance Company 5. Science Class Depending on their ages, this one-day workshop will teach kids how to make potions that change colours, how to do a crime scene investigation, and conduct various scientific experiments. Cost: $120. Location: Macquarie University. Contact: Junior Science Academy
6. Filmmaking Class Designed for 13-17 years old, kids get a chance to work with a director and professional actors for a real filmmaking experience. In this five-day workshop, participants get to learn about lighting, cinematography, scriptwriting, sound effects, directing, and many more. Other similar classes for different age groups are also available. Cost: $895. Location: Moore Park. Contact: The Australian Film Television Radio and School
7. Coding Class Learn the language of the machine in this three-day coding workshop for kids. Different levels for different age groups are available. By the end of the program, kids will be able to build their own app or game. Cost: $350. Location: Various suburbs. Contact: Code Camp
8. Cartoon Characters Drawing Class
In this full-day workshop, kids will learn illustration techniques to create drawings from children movies or video games. Younger kids will learn the basic of shape construction while older kids will learn more advanced drawing techniques. Cost: $100. Location: Baulkham Hills. Contact: Sydney Art School
9. Sailing Class
Kids age 7-14 will learn various sailing skills in the morning in this four-day sailing program at Sydney Harbour. Kids will also enjoy mini races, games and picnic in the garden in the afternoon. Cost: $480. Location: Rose Bay. Contact: Woollahra Sailing Club
10. Netball/Football Class
Let kids refine their motor skills and refine their game strategies. Girls age 6-15 years can learn from professional netballers and improve their skills, while boys age 4-12 years can develop their football skills in this three-hour class. Cost: $70/$120. Location: Sydney Olympic Park. Contact: Sydney Olympic Park
11. Bushrangers Class
In this one-day outdoor workshop, kids age 5-12 get to spend the day in the Australian Botanic Garden, enjoy outdoor challenges and games, and be introduced to nature. Cost: $85. Location: Mount Annan. Contact: Australian Botanic Garden Mount Annan
12. Animal Care Class
For kids who love animals, get up close and personal with dogs, cats, and other furry animals in this full-day session. Kids will learn how to care for the animals at the shelter, how to create treats and toys, and they will get to meet the animal experts during the day. Cost: $80. Location: Yagoona. Contact: RSPCA
If you think something is amiss from this list, share it in the comments below.