We've all loved Winnie the Pooh at some point in our lives, if not for always - he's the cute little fictional bear created by English author A.A. Milne. The first collection of stories about Pooh Bear was in 1926 with the book Winnie the Pooh. Children around the world have grown up listening to Winnie the Pooh tales and watching his cartoons, but ... there's far more to this cute little bear. Winnie the Pooh's expressions over the years may appear to have been simple but all have a philosophical ring of truth to them.
Here's my list of twenty pearls of wisdom from Winnie the Pooh - we - adults and children - can all learn from his inspiring, thought-provoking words of wisdom.
1. Piglet: 'How do you spell love?' Pooh: 'You don't spell itů.you feel it.'
Image: Winnie the Pooh FB Page
Never a truer word has been spoken - love is a variety of different feelings, emotions, attractions or personal attachments - you don't need to spell it - you just need to feel it. Loving or feeling loved is something we all aspire to.
2. 'You are braver than you believe. Stronger than you seem. And smarter than you think.'
You are stronger than you think - Image: Winnie the Pooh FB Page
I think we as mere mortals tend to undervalue our abilities in most walks of life - and Winnie the Pooh has hit the nail on the head - believe in yourself first and foremost then greater heights can be achieved.
3. 'The things that make me different are the things that make me.'
We all go through life meeting someone, falling in love, perhaps living together and getting married and then spend endless amount of time trying to change the person we love. We should take note and strive to remember that we fell in love with our soul-mate because of their difference.
4. 'If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in this ear.'
I had a fluff in my ear, please can you repeat that? - Image: Elaine de Wet
Who's not guilty of this? Getting impatient when we think no one is listening to us. Be patient, wait and listen. The Dalai Lama says when we speak, we don't learn anything new, but when we learn to listen, we might learn something new.
5. 'If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart. I'll stay there forever'
Life often throws us curve-balls when our loved ones move on, but because of our love for them, we'll always remember them - they're in our hearts;
6. 'As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen'
I just knew we were going to have an adventure - Image: Winnie the Pooh FB Page
Patience! Life is all about patience - I know this is sometimes a difficult concept to grasp, we all lead such busy lives, rushing here, there and everywhere - have patience: what is meant to be, will be. Take time out.
10. 'If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.'
So much love, I don't want to live without you - how cute is this?
11. ' Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.'
Take time to get to know somebody. I know it's far easier to judge a book by its cover - but if you give a person time, you might discover a real 'diamond'.
12. 'I think we dream so we don't have to be apart for so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time.'
We always dream about our loved ones and what better way to keep them close.
13. 'You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.'
Spend The Day With Your Friend - Image: Winnie the Pooh FB Page
Playing the waiting game? I tend to have this fault, rather than wait for somebody else to make the first move get on with it, get out there and be with your friends - tomorrow is never promised and life waits for no man.
14. 'Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would, I'd never leave'
Promise me you'll never forget me - Image: Winnie the Pooh FB Page
Have you ever seen an unhappy child? Give them a balloon - their whole face lights up, tears wiped away and the day is radiant once more.
20. 'How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.'
We never appreciate what we have until we have to say 'goodbye' - enjoy life, enjoy your life's treasures every day, whether it's your family, your loved ones, your friends - literally, STOP and appreciate them.